Help please (S40, a bit of panic)

Hi all,

I am in a bit of a bind and I hope this is a straight-forward/common enough problem that a solution is evident to the pros here.

I have a 2001 S40 1.9T with about 240K on it. About a week ago the turn signals started intermittantly failing: the dash indicator and exterior lamps as well as the telltale "clicking" would either not start or stop after a few clicks. The hazard switch would also not work during these episodes.

Suspecting either the hazard switch or the relay I removed and inspected both. The hazard switch seemed fine, a very simple mechanism, and I reinstalled it. The relay (a difficult thing to get at in this car) showed, once opened, that the solder around one of the poles was clearly cracked. So today I ordered a replacement and once I got it home and plugged it in was disapointed to find that this DID NOT fix the problem!

All fuses have been inspected and are intact.

If the switch on the steering column is at fault, would it also take out the hazard? I have to drive out of town on Sunday and Friday (tomorrow) is my last chance to get a part... I'm getting a bit desperate here... what should I check? I have a volt meter and Vadis but the latter is cryptic and cumbersome to work with.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance, blurp

Reply to
Serial # 19781010

By hazard relay, do you mean the flasher, or is there a separate relay?

Reply to
James Sweet

Sorry, I mean the part I replaced was the flasher relay part #30870939. The Hazard Switch #30623426 was inspected but not replaced.

I have pulled the turn signal switch off the steering column in anticipation of needing to replace it or perhaps checking it in some way.

Reply to
Serial # 19781010

Reply to
Jon Robertson

Yes it is, I did check the fuses and scuffed their tips a bit too. I received a wiring diagram over email and was able to test the hazard switch socket and it seems his may be he culprit after all.

I'm picking up a new swich tomorrow. If that doesn't work I'll have to drive with my arm out the window.

Thanks B

Reply to
blurp

There's only a handful of components in the circuit, it can't be that hard to work methodically, test each section, and eliminate everything one at a time until you find the problem.

Reply to
James Sweet

Sure enough, it was the hazard swich. Visually inspecting it didn't reveal anything but the voltmeter showed it was getting all the right signals and the wiring diagram explained how the turn-signals were on the circuit.Swapped it out and problem was solved... thanks again!

Next question is...

blurp

A volt meter won't tell you the whole story. If you have a high resistance connection, you might measure full voltage there, but put any load on it and the voltage drops down.

Reply to
James Sweet