Hi all thjnking of buying a Volvo.

Plan is for either a 7** or 9** diesel (in the UK where diesel is more prevalent).

Any advice on what to look for and what I should be paying for a decent motor.

Never owned a Volvo or a Diesel before, I'm currently a Petrol Skoda Octavia owner, but I've been a Saab driver for a few years in the past.

Any week spots that I should try to spot on an prospective buys?

Reply to
Elder

The difference between 7 and 9 series is mostly minor cosmetic stuff. The most important thing I can think of is to make sure that Diesel motor was well maintained. Changing the timing belt requires a few special tools and if it fails the engine is pretty much scrap.

Reply to
James Sweet

Am I right in thinking both of the *40 diesels used the VW van Turbo 5 cylinder? Did the 960 use the same lump in turbo diesel form.

And yes, I did find out that they can be tempremental and a bit of a money pit if not meticulously maintained.

Still looking, the choice is between a Daewoo/Ssangyong Musso or Korando, a Volvo 9 or 740TDi, or a turbo diesel Range Rover classic or Landrover Discovery (both essentially the same vehicle in simpler trim).

It's down to economics and longevity really. And finding the right car at the right price at the right time tbh. I've not been working for a few months and like a larger car, but I could do with pulling back some of the cash that is in my Skoda Octavia, and saving some fuel. Volvo parts are plentiful, Ssangyong parts can be scarce but they don't need many and most pattern Merc parts, While the Landy/Rangie parts are dirt cheap but you might need lots.

Reply to
Elder