High Idle & no overdrive..... Connected?

I'll try again. '89 245, 280K.

Sunday when I started the old wagon it did not come off high idle, even after driving around for more than 30 miles. Also overdrive does not work anymore. Are these two problems connected, or simply coincident?

The o/d light turns on & off in the dash when I hit the shifter button, but o/d does not engage. Foot firmly on brake at stoplights, as the high idle makes the car not want to stop.

The throttle cable on the intake works, but seems restricted. As it has been below 10 degrees (f) for several weeks, I assumed it was cold lubricant causing that.

Any suggestions?

Thanx, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Townsend