High maintenance cost

I called my Volvo dealer in upstate NY for an estimate on the cost of the 60K service on my

99 S70GLT. They said it would be $725 and would require 5 hours of time. Does that seem like a reasonable price? I'm thinking just skip it, and do an oil change.
Reply to
Bill

i would take it to a local volvo shop... do some research, and find someone w/a solid rep...check w/your local volvo club....

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

have you always gone to the dealer for service? do or is your service log stamped and dated by dealers for all service sessions, if so...it may be worth the $ to keep the "paper trail" going...for re sale $$...otherwise, I would go w/a independent volvo garage...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

From memory, this service includes: replacing drive belts, air filter, spark plugs, fuel filter clean EGR system check brake systems, steering, suspension check timing belt, tensioner lubricate whatever needs to be lubricated

I think that $720 is a little stiff for that. I think this is no more than two hours of labor (at $120 per hour - typically). The parts are no more than another $100 - $150.

You should be able to find someone who will do this at a lower cost. I think my service cost about $400 (at a dealer) about two years ago.

Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

You can do better. Go to an independent shop and have them print out what's done at that milage. Probably the only thing (other that check alot of things for leaks) is spark plug repacement. You can do that or have someone do that for much less than the quote. You can change the cabin filter, air filter, etc yourself.

fb

Reply to
fb

Hello Bill:

$725 seems a bit steep to me. I live in Central NY, east of Syracuse and can recommend several good shops if the area is convenient for you and close enough to your home.

I sincerely doubt the service required would be anything close to $725. The shop I'm thinking of is a large facility but the owner test drives every vehicle after repair and if his techs didn't get it right they pay a penalty. I recall he charges about $ 60 per hour, which is typical for this area. Sounds like a lot to one like me who does nearly all his own service, but the man in question is entirely honest and stands behind his work with a 100% satisfaction guarantee

Feel free to e-mail me at: snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net

Remove the "nospam" in the addy for a message to me and subsequent reply.

Cheerio,

Doc

Reply to
doc

Try an independant Volvo shop and see what they estimate. Also if the 60K includes timing belt replacen't DON'T skip that part.

Reply to
James Sweet

Syracuse is a little bit too far to go from Albany. But I did find a dealer who will do the 60K service for $600. And then I read about people who are buying designer jeans for $600, so I decided not to worry about the cost of the service. Thanks to all who replied.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

My 60K service was 1.3 hours at the dealer. (Ottawa Ontario) Basically road tested, changed oil, inspected brakes and fluids and lubed hinges.

The bigger service was at 72K...1.8hours

2000 V70SE

matt

Reply to
Matt

....less than $200...

Reply to
Matt

For the 99 S70GLT, the manual calls for replacing spark plugs, air and fuel filters, cabin air filter and drive belts (not timing belt), oil change, brake fluid change, and checking/lubing other stuff. And I think 2-3 hours would be about right for that work. But all shops I have contacted say it is a 5 hour job. I think that is where the rip-off comes, in the labor charge. I don't know how they figure 5 hours, but it seems way to high.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

So... design some jeans, sell them for $600 and pay for the service with that ;-)

Maybe the line will catch on - "Bill jeans, for people who know quality cars." Just remember me when you're rich and famous, dahling.

Mike (who is looking for his medications)

Reply to
Michael Pardee

They are using an estimating guide. I don't know if there is a standard Volvo shops use (I expect one is published by Volvo), but the one I've seen was a Mitchell. The labor hours for things I was familiar with were inconsistent - some estimates were low and some were high.

Many scheduled maintenances are easy DIY jobs, even if time consuming. Since I go DIY on most of my car service anyway, I think the routines are a good way to become familiar with the vehicle.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Find a trustworthy independent Volvo shop and ONLY have done what your owner's manual says to have done at 60k miles. Most dealerships add a bunch of stuff beyond the factory requirements just to improve their profits.

New car sales is not where dealerships make their money, it is in the service shop and used car sales.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Be glad you are not in the San Jose, CA area ... here the standard shop rates are $100/hour and higher!!!!

Reply to
John Horner