Hood Release Cable - Volvo 240

Nice weather has finally arrived , and I have replaced the hood release cable on my 1990 240 wagon (with air bags.) (I got the new cable from Swedish Engineering, and it's fine.) Here's my question: I can now open the hood by pulling on the red hood release lever. This releases the hood lock. But if I then push forward on the red lever, the hood lock does not get reset. I am beginning to think that there should be a spring in the hood lock assembly. (When I move the hood lock by hand, it will stay in either the open or closed positon, There seems to be no spring.) Should there be a spring? If not, what adjsutment do I need to make? Thanks. To reply directly to me, replace all 'z' with 'a' in email address.

Reply to
George

Yes, there should be a spring on the lock mechanism.

Reply to
Mike F

Sounds like your cable is fine, yes there should be a spring, and the latch mechanism needs lubrication periodically too or they can bind.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thank you. I got a spring, and now everything's OK. The old cabel *was* broken - at the handle end - but now everything is OK.

Reply to
George