Hot weather starting reluctance

My 1990 240 has just started exhibiting some reluctance to start when it's hot out, either over 90F or 85F if the car has been parked in the sun. The engine cranks over and over but there's no indication of trying to start. After three or four attempts it thus far has then suddenly stared normally.

Prior to this, possibly related, I noticed than once in a while after starting the car, the idle speed was rather low and most of the idiot lights would stay of. Bumping the gas pedal turns the idiot lights off and restore normal idle.

The car runs normally. It gets 24-25 mpg in mixed driving, which has been the case for the six years I've owned the car. No loss of power, no stumbling or hesitancy.

I haven't checked for fault codes yet. Any suggestions as to the possible remedy are much appreciated.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

Things to check, fuel pump relay and crank angle sensor, either one can cause temperature dependant no-starts. Check first to see if you have a spark.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks. The fuel pumps seem to operate normally, but the crank angle sensor I haven't checked. ISTR there is a fault code for that; does it trigger the "check engine" light?

Reply to
Tim McNamara

I always just change the exhaust O2 sensor, then scratch my head in puzzlement. Worth a try, especially the scratching the head part.