How can I spice up my Volvo?

I have an '89 240DL but I want it to look a little bit more "modern" and a little bit more "cool". What can I do to get that look? Are there any pages that give you info on how to improve the 240 look?

Reply to
Joe

I consulted with some of the brats^H^H^H^H representatives of youth culture who live down our road about this. They all agreed that you are never going to be able to make a 240 look more modern, but they did make several suggestion that involved words like 'cool', 'style' and 'respec'.

The first thing to do is to install a sound system with big sub-woofers and power amps that occupy most of the boot space. This, apparently, is 'kickin' and will improve your street cred more than anything. Second to this is to paint the car red. This evidently makes it go much faster.

Next fit some front fog lights which you *never* turn off. Some alloys with very low profile tyres will help you be , err, 'cool'. An exhaust megaphone, and some sort of spoiler on the back somewhere (I don't think it matters much where), and a deep bib under the front bumper.

Lastly, you need a very expensive mobile phone permanently glued to your ear whist you drive.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrave

Dig around this site. The Swede's will show you what to do...

RS

Reply to
Rusty

Hahaha, good one there, Stewart!

Andy

"Stewart Hargrave" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Andy

Stewart - boyakasha, you been hangin' out and sharin' splifs with the West Staines massiv again?

;-)

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

-E-Code headlamp conversion, Silverstar bulbs (not the stupid blue kind... the real white ones that actually do work as advertised to give you more light), plus if you know someone good with electricity, install a headlamp relay to deliver maximum voltage to the headlamps.

-If it's a wagon see about installing a similar rear light cluster to the V90 - with the two white spots in between two red.. the turn signal uses an amber bulb to show amber... don't be Honda-boy and go using white bulbs in all your indicators, amber is a much better colour... I won't even buy a car if the rear indicators are red... Swedish/German cars all have amber's and they're the only cars I like so it works out

-Install the foglights from a sporty model

-Turbo models or specialty models had front airdams on the 740's at least... maybe the 240 turbo had something similar.

-Alloy wheels... maybe 16" with a quality set of tires... Don't go overboard with 17"+ wheels, they don't suit te car... keep it tastefull and classy

-Clean up the paintwork and chrome trimming

-Tint the windows (there are other shades then limo-tint... my friends old

1991 Jetta really cleaned up after installed alloys from a Passat of similar vintage, paintjob cleanup, and a tint job on the windows... I think he used 20% tint)

- A stainless steel exhaust with new stainless steel exhaust tip... our 960 needed a new muffler, we got one of similar design to the 850 Turbo - straight pipe out the back... none of that curved pipe, all in stainless... much nicer

- Installing a brand new stereo + speakers (remember sound QUALITY is more important then the volume your sub produces... Bass should be imperceptible until you take it away, don't let people know you have a sub, key is to make it sound like the speakers are doing all the work)

-Re-do the suspension system to tighten up the ride, no use leaning into the corners like an Oldsmobile.

-Try to stop rattles, get someone to drive your car by your house or over some bumps to see if you can hear anything that would make people you drive by think "old rattletrap"

-Install turn signal repeaters into the side spots where the Volvo logo is - if applicable

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Paint the mirrors and bumpers the same color as the body instead of black, makes for a nice more modern look...

Reply to
Brian Shuttz

Post pictures when this is all done....

I have a 245 wagon, and will just live precariously through you :)

Nitrous.... hmmmm....

Reply to
gottago

Nitrous in a 240...that *would* be precarious, whether vicarious or not........ LOL

K.

Reply to
K Bourke