How good are the "new" Volvos

When I got my 2000 S40 in Oct. of 1999, there was a lot of talk here about the "new" Volvos vs. the "old" Volvos and "Volvo" Volvos vs. the dreaded "Ford" Volvos. I realize the 2000 S40 falls into the Ford ownership era, but not the Ford designed era. Well, I just turned 125,000 miles today on the S40, and to date have had no major repairs that were not covered under the warranty. Other than normal maintaince I've only had to replace the coolant temp. sensor and the Park/Neutral position switch. I owned a 1981

244 GLT and a 1991 740 prior to the S40. There were some things I liked better on the old Volvos, but there are some things I like better on the S40 too. This is just an FYI for anyone who cares.
Reply to
Steve Bernth

And your Volvo was co-designed with Mitsubishi (a pretty lousy car company these days IMO)... Go figure.

Friends of mine bought the original year of the current V70 wagon (a Volvo design), we have one of the oringal years of the 960 wagon, from 1993, built in 1992 - some stuff like a blown speaker, and some cheaper trim compared to our 93 960 (no more velvet on the ceiling and A,B,C,D pillars... plastic on those pillars for gods sake) make me realize that to make the V70 cost $44K now, when the 960 cost $42K 11 years ago that they learned to cut costs - but I don't see any major areas where quality lacks. My friends have had to replace everything relating to the DSTC system, it cost nearly $5000 to do this.... Pretty major i'd say, but the dealer says this is "rare"... The car has also had numerous software updates to correct minor problems... Solid as a rock right now. Our 960 has had a steering rack done, and a brake caliper - both more of less age related... Some A/C work done as well.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I have a 2000 V70 SE with 76,000Km, boutght with 62,999Km.

I like the drive but hate the fact that I know the service guys by name.

Ball joints @ 63,000 Km Power window driver switch @ 67,000 Km Passenger side link rod @ 75,000 Km Spring that brings the driver door handle on the inside back into its position @ 75,001 Km Driver side link rod is planned for 77,000 Km

I understand that Volvos are heavy cars...shouldn't they have a front end that can handle the weight?

Maybe the guy before me used to jump the car...

matt

Reply to
Matt

Maybe... My friends V70 has had no front end work, and it's still all nice and tight.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

new volvos are horrible. I will never buy a ford or a ford volvo. Buy only volvos that are pre 1997.

Reply to
theflamemachine

I have an '04 XC. It is by far the best Volvo I have owned in terms of fit, finish and performance. I have owned: '67 122S, '74 145, '83 245, '89 244 and an '00 V40.

Reply to
Larry_Horse

That is a good list of Volvos, and yet you missed the best series - the mid '90's 940, especially the turbo wagon version!

Reply to
NCMan

'04 S80, 20,000 miles. Zero problems.

Reply to
Michael Hobbs

'02 S80, 46,000 miles. Zero problems also.

Reply to
Pleasantly Surprized