How much are radiators?

Hey Everyone.

The radiator in our 1993 960 seems to have sprung a small leak. Of course this means a visit to the mechanics, hopefully Thursday (gotta call tomorrow).

How much do you think this will run? with install.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Hi Rob,

Where are you located? You can check out Hamilton's Garage (they are a scrap yard with

600 Volvos). I bet you may find a decent used (and most likely tested) rad there, and I believe they can install it for you. They are in Guelph, prices seem reasonable, but installing it yourself isn't that hard. Where is it leaking? The tanks separated from the core? I still can't believe I have the original rad in my '87 760 in Toronto!!! The bottom drain holes show evidence that the most bottom row of fins have rotted, but the rest of the fins are as solid as new, it will probably plug up solid before it leaks on me! (knock on wood). It also has the original coolant and thermostat since 1987 (NOT the best idea).

Hamilton's Corner Garage Ltd.,1354 Gordon St, Guelph ONT, N1H 6H9 (519)822.3297 , (519)822.3261 fax ; Jim-Service, Bill-Parts

(you are in Ontario right? they do ship if you need it, just a thought, buying a new OE rad will be the most expensive route, Standard Auto Wreckers charges $50 for any rad (good luck finding a 960, in the U-pull it yard), so I'd figure Hamilton's is $100 cuz they pull it out for you.

If you're near Markham, Sam's Garage is the best place to go, Bullock and Laidlaw

905-294-8617 and talk to Louie, and there are a ton of other fine shops that won't rip you off like some $tealers. I take my cars to Sam's for anything I can't really do myself (but you'd find changing the rad isn't too difficult, if it's anything like a 760, it is easy, you must have an electric fan?!?)
Reply to
Myron Samila

after ten years these plastic radiators will break at the neck of the top hose, my 92 960 broke at exactly ten years, 200,000 miles, and my 88 240 did the same thing about six months ago, a new radiator is under 200.00 for the 960, very cheap compared to the price of a new engine for this car, luckily the 960 radiator broke as we were turning into the driveway so it didn't get hot, the

240 did get hot but not real hot,but its real forgiving so it was ok, as thrifty as i am i wouldn't mess with a used radiator ,you would be buying the same thing you have. mark
Reply to
Islandguy77554

Sometimes where you score with a used rad is the previous owner had the same trouble, and replaced the rad with a new one!!! ;) (but if the car in the yard is a front end collision, ummmm, usually nixes that idea!)

I've gone to the wreckers and have found brand new parts installed (including rads, which OE rads have a date code stamped up top). $200 USD = big money here, replacement rad for my 760 is over $380 Cnd at Volvo. That $50 is in Cnd funds (used rads), so roughly $35-38 USD. (a friend needed a rad for his 740 Wagon, found one at Standard Auto Wreckers, $50 it appeared to be brand new, not a bad deal!, and luckily it is still holding coolant.

That is quite amazing your rad lasted 200,000 miles!! Wow! good quality stuff! I guess my car barely seems broken in. ;)

Reply to
Myron Samila

Rob;

If you're in Ontario, in or near Ottawa, you might want to give Ontario Glass and Radiator (OG&R) on Scott St a call.

I needed a rad for an older non-Volvo for which the local wreckers didn't have anything and OG&R offered a *new* rad with a lifetime warranty for less than what the re-corers (ie Gary's) were asking to rebuild the old one.

While I was there, I asked for a price for a rad for my 240. The figure of $140 comes to mind for the rad itself and a little over $200 installed.

Nice folks, clean shop, friendly (big) dog.

Unfortunately, when it came time to replace the rad in my Volvo, I took the vehicle to a shop near my home instead of to the shop 20kms away which I usually use and they convinced me to avoid the less- costly OG&R rad, saying that the OG&R rad was likely a cheap Asian import that would likely fail prematurely leaving me with a blown engine. They brushed-off my reminder about the lifetime warranty that OG&R offered.

I say "unfortunate" because I recently found my non OG&R rad was almost emptied because a friction-fit nylon plug had managed to blow (or fall?) out of the top of the new rad. (I don't recall having seen such a plug on any other rad before in all my years of vehichle ownership.)

In replacing the plug, I noticed "Made in Thailand" stamped on the rad.

have sprung a small leak. Of course

hopefully Thursday (gotta call

with install.

=== * ==Emilio Teodoro Lopez-Garazgos Dunrobin, Ontario,Canada

(manually remove the spamguard DOG from the domain name if you hit "reply" to respond )

Reply to
Emilio Teodoro Lopez-Garazgos

Thanks for the info... we decided to get brand new Volvo stuff, as we want to keep this still young 11 year old car for a good few more years... Decided to go all out on it, it's going to get all new brakes and suspension soon too :-)... and I think I might take a stab at its barely functioning radio one of these days.

Toronto!!! The

since 1987 (NOT the

for any rad (good

$100 cuz they pull