How much $$$ to do front struts on 240? Best struts?

My '92 240 is getting pretty clunky; time for new front struts. One shop quoted me $450 US to do them... ouch! Is this about right? Are they something a decent shadetree guy could do himself?

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired

What parts were they using? I got charged under $150 AU at a volvo dealer using my parts. Shocks range from a few $$ to many $$$. If you want to know how easy the job is then use google. There are many links showing the process. I've done mine a few times this last year (Playing with spring combinations) but you do have to be careful.

AJS

Reply to
AJS

That's a pretty good price for parts and labor. I would assume that just the strut inserts are being replaced, not the whole strut which would include the coiled spring. Labor on front struts is a lot more than rear schock. A shadetree guy can do this, it takes a couple of special tools on the fastening nut at the top of the strut. You can see this nut under the hood by lifting its black plastic/rubber cover. You can get a special offset ratchet wrench socket from Pep Boys or Autozone tool "loaner" program to handle this nut. Haynes and Bentley books for the Volvo 240 can walk you through this.

After finishing the job, the front end needs a fresh alignment job. Only a very good shadetree guy can do this without the alignment equipment found in modern garages.

I just did the same work you mention on my 91 240 last year on all 4 corners. At the same time, I also replaced all ball joints and suspension bushings, which often are the cause of clunk noise. On my car, the ball joint boots and the bushing rubber was cracking, indicating time for replacement. I did not replace the top strut mount bearings. I used Boge turbo gas shocks and struts, which are touted as very similar to Volvo's. The rear shocks made a slight rapid tapping noise even when new, so I switched to Volvo brand (which I'm told are the Boge entry-level shocks). I would have saved myself some money and labor by going with all Volvo parts to begin with. When completed, this job will provide an almost brand new feeling ride again, and shouldn't need any more attention for another 10 years.

Reply to
Pat Quadlander