how to remove 86 740 speaker grill

Hi!

I have a 86 740 Turbo wagon, and the right front speaker is dead silent. I was told by the guy at the stereo shop that put in a jvc stereo two years ago that the factory speaker is gone.

I am considering putting new speakers myself. How do I remove the speaker grill? (they are Bose-made volvo speakers, a package that came with the car, black, metal mesh grill)

Thanks!

Sean

Reply to
racing blade

Sounds like I have the same type of grill on my 89 740 (UK)

The grill should slide back (toward the door hinge) and unclip.

hope this helps

Steve.

Reply to
Steve Rodgers

No, in 1986 they just pull off. There are 4 posts on the back of the grille that slide into 4 holes. Just make sure to pull evenly, or you'll break some of the posts off.

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks! You are right, it's a pull-off grill. I have noticed that the original factory speakers are pretty good (for 1986), they are actually 2-way speakers and the cones are still intact!

Another question -- do you guys have any experience with the factory installed alarm system? The car came with the system, and I couldn't find any manuals on the system. I have two magnet-like "keys", but I haven't tried them on the little thing under the wind shield, fearing that I might set it off and can never turn it off.

Thanks!

Sean

Reply to
racing blade

That alarm was actually an accessory, not factory installed. It's a bit of a pain in the a**, my suggestion would be to remove it and install something better.

Reply to
Mike F