...hummmm.......

World's Safest Autos >>> 2005

The are some surprising omissions from the list of winners. There no Volvos, for example, among the winners. Volvo, which is part of Ford Motor Company, has traditionally marketed its vehicles as being particularly safe.

"Volvo is lagging behind its competitors," said Russ Rader, a spokesman for the Institute. Other car companies with strong reputations for safety also did not have vehicles represented among the winners.

A spokesman for Volvo denied that the company's vehicles are any less safe than the Institute's top-rated vehicles.

"Not true," Dan Johnston, a Volvo spokesman, said of the notion that Volvo was "lagging" in safety.

"It's just a philosophy on safety that is different from building cars to pass these kinds of tests," he said.

The company's cars are extremely safe based on Volvo's own tests and they are built to protect occupants in real-world crashes, he said, which are more complex events than a crash test could reasonably reproduce.

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

It would have been nice if you had quited the entire source of this information, or at least a link to the article.

It states, "...for the Instutute." Could that be the "Insurance Institute for Highway Safety"? If so, IMO, they are a special interest group more aimed at serving the needs of the Insurance industry than the actual needs of drivers and the safety of the passengers of the vehicles that they test. If that is the case, I agree with the Volvo representative on this one. I have often seen footage supplied by the "Instutute" used in car company commercials stating that the vehicles are safe, but they cut off the crash test video just as the driver's area collapses as the front wheel is shoved past the door. They wouldn't allow this sort of editing if they were more concerned with our safety than their profits or existance.

If memory serves, they were also behind a push to get insurance companies to raise rates or cancel policies on high performance sport motorcycles without regard to the actual accident statistics regarding the experience, training, safety gear, or age of those injured or killed in the accidents.

Just my $.02 __ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

that link Randy.....

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Yup... I called it like I saws it!

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Very true on the point about certain manufacturere building their vehicles to pass a specific type of crash test rather than real-world scenarios. What would you rather be riding in during a severe multi-car crash...a Honda Civic with a gold star rating or my XC 70? I have a friend who, while on a trip back from Colorado in his Prius, hit a deer and had to climb into the back seat to exit the vehicle because the front doors were jammed closed. To tell you the truth, I don't think that I've seen any compliments on Volvo crash-worthiness in the last several years but, I'll tell you one thing...I HAVE seen a mangled Accord on a flatbet hauler that still had the yellow plastic inside that was used to cover up the deceased.

i'll take sweedish metal/craftsmanship work over japanese any day .......

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^