HYDRAULIC ENGINE MOUNTS

How do you test the hydraulic engine mounts ?.Mine seemed to be bad due to my fan scrapping the cowling of the radiator .So I replaced the engine mount under the turbo on my 740 .Trouble is the mount felt ok in the hand, but now the engine seems smoother so how do I tell if the other side the left hand side from behind the steering wheel ,is ok? Can they collapse and or expand ?My fan is still not central in the cowling .It went when I was running hard, but legal on a twisting long road with a Saab Turbo for company .So it was under pressure.Thankfully it was a simple job .I removed the left hand ?good side?and it felt ok ,I think .

Reply to
John Robertson

If I'm not mistaken you have the standard non-hydraulic mounts. The one on the intake side of the engine may not be in such bad shape because it is spared the added heat from the exhaust system, but it probably is not in good condition. Besides hardening, they can soften and deform; that is clear by looking at it. The same applies to the common failure mode where one end shears off the rubber center.

You've already changed the hardest one. I think you would be well to replace not only the other side mount, but the rear mount above the tail of the transmission. That one is easier yet, although it is valuable to have a floor jack free to remount the cross-member it attaches to. The rear mount also has the highest failure rate and is most likely to cause the engine to sit crooked.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Engine mounts should be replaced in pairs, they're only about $6 each online anyway.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hi all,

I wonder if someone would post the symptoms of bad engine mounts, hydraulic or otherwise.

What would one be hearing or feeling that would make them say "ahaa, I think I might have an engine mount problem"? (or something to that effect).

Thanks much,

Perk (:>)

Reply to
Perk

If they get bad enough, the fan will rub on the cowl. If the car has a manual transmission, you'll start to see excessive movement of the shifter as you accelerate and slow down.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
John Robertson

Reply to
John Robertson

It's not difficult to check the mounts, usually when they fail, they break. Put a jack under the bellhousing with a block of wood to protect it and jack it up, if the engine or transmission lifts up off any of the mounts, they're bad.

Reply to
James Sweet