I am thinking about purchasing a car- advice please

Good day,

I have run across a 1993 940 turbo wagon that I might like to purchase.

I have a couple of 740's and I might want to upgrade .

Is there anything quirky about this year/model that I need to be aware of?

What bad stuff would I look for?

This is rear wheel drive isn't it? I had the idea that some later 940's weren't.

TIA

jimB

-------------------------------------------- JimB

-------------------------------------------- my SPAM defense: Replace all the X's in email address with M

Reply to
jimb
~^ beancounter ~^

All 900 series cars are RWD, they're practically the same car as a 740, you shouldn't run into many surprises.

Reply to
James Sweet

I've ridden the Volvo train: 142, 244, 244 Turbo, 740 Turbo, 850 Turbo, and recently purchased a '92 Turbo for the wife.

The prior owner was not a mechanic, but he maintained it regularly, which in the real world is about the best you can hope for.

The car goes down the road a lot better than her former 740 NA.

The car feels better, quieter, a bit more massive, call it more Mercedes-like.

Problems I addressed in sorting out and correcting this reasonably well-maintained car were as follows:

Adjusted valves: measured and replaced three of eight shims, and replaced all of the rubber valve quieters. It tapped / ticked before, but not anymore.

Replaced water pump: it leaked at the top seal, and was a bit noisy.

Replaced timing belt, tensioner, and all three front seals (cam, intermediate shaft, front of crankshaft). I do this whenever I acquire a used Volvo: great preventative maintenance.

Power-flushed all transmission fluid from automatic transmission, using IPD hose.

New distributor cap, rotor, O-rings, wires and plugs.

New thermostat, replaced a few hoses.

I removed the intake manifold and inspected the wires / looms. To my joy, they had held up well and needed minimal repair.

Removed injectors, added new injector seals.

Cleaned IAC, throttle body and manifold.

New belts, and to quiet a squeal, I discovered that the power steering pump was not square to the crank pulley: I corrected it using washers at / behind the PS pump affixing bolts as shims, to change the aspect.

The light which illuminates the automatic transmission shifter was out, and it was a major hassle to replace it: I wound up removing the entire shift assembly to access it, but that's OK, working on Volvos is the greatest therapy going.

She loves the car, and I too am happy with it.

Reply to
Mr. V

which they do not understand.

576. The general conduct of the world towards the Church: God willing to blind and to enlighten.--The event having proved the divinity of these prophecies, the rest ought to be believed. And thereby we see the order of the world to be of this kind. The miracles of the Creation and the Deluge being forgotten, God sends the law and the miracles of Moses, the prophets who prophesied particular things; and to prepare a lasting miracle, He prepares prophecies and their fulfilment; but, as the prophecies could be suspected, He desires to make them above suspicion, etc.

577. God has made the blindness of this people subservient to the good of the elect.

578. There is sufficient clearness to enlighten the elect, and sufficient obscurity to humble them. There is sufficient obscurity to blind the reprobate, and sufficient clearness to condemn them and make them inexcusable. Saint Augustine, Montaigne, Sebond.

The genealogy of Jesus Christ in the Old Testament is intermingled with so many others that are useless that it cannot be distinguished. If Moses had kept only the record of the ancestors of Christ, that might have been too plain. If he had not noted that of Jesus Christ, it might not have been sufficiently plain. But, after all, whoever looks closely sees that of Jesus Christ expressly traced through Tamar, Ruth, etc.

Those who ordained these sacrifices knew their uselessness; those who have declared their uselessness, have not ceased to practise them.

If God had permitted only one religion, it has been too easily known; but when we look at it closely, we clearly discern the truth amidst this confusion.

The premiss.--Moses was a clever man. If, then, he ruled himself by his reason, he would say nothing clearly which was directly against reason.

Thus all the very apparent weaknesses are strength. Example; the two genealogies in Saint Matthew and Saint Luke. What can be clearer than that this was not concert

Reply to
Roadie