I wanna put this older rear bumper with bump struts on my 245

It's from around a 1979 244 sedan and in remarkably good shape - heavier than my broken bumper for 1988 245 but will it fit on? (I don't care if not an exact straight fit or if I need to re-drill holes in mounting brackets) has anyone done it? Actually, I like the look of it better than OEM for my model with its all aluminum design and some molding around it it's far superior than black plastic covered like my old one. It clears the sides somewhat and I might have to take the side mountings away but it's solid enough to stay on with out help at the sides (I think?) but please tell me what you Volvo enthusiasts think.

respond here only as email from listed is bogus for obvious reasons

PS This car is going to a wrecker and it is carburated - may have useful parts for someone else but you'll have to act fast - car is in Mississauga Ontario Canada Owner is taking all monies raised to send to tsunami victoms. I got 2 good seats and the bumper with hardware for $50.00 CDN Rad may be good etc. call me 905 569-7143 PS he is selling a fixer upper - older 2-door Tbird with tailfins like

62 or 63 white $1500.00 CDN I would take it but no where to restore it right now.
Reply to
Danil

The old style bumpers will fit up to '85 US spec cars but '86-on is different.

Reply to
James Sweet

I have a question along this line, My 89 780 has what appears to be a pushed in left side bumber, it's only compressed about 1 or 2 inches at the most, previous owner may have backed into something/someone.

The bumper itself is not damaged on the outside, the folding accordian trim on the edge, between the bumper and the body is a bit crumpled.

Is the bumper compression thingie (can-shaped device between bumper and frame) similar on several late models or specific only to the 780 of this year?

I figured I could just unbolt the bumper, and get a "can" or whatever from the boneyard, install on mine and this will bring the bumper out to it's original position.

Reply to
vinran1

You should be able to pull a rear bumper shock from any 700 series car and bolt it on.

Reply to
James Sweet

Believe it or not, the 780 bumper shocks are the same as the "old style" (740 -89, 760 -87) 700 bumper shocks. And also, believe it or not, the fronts are the same as the rear - front left = rear right, front right rear left.

Reply to
Mike F

James, Mike;

Thanks for the info.