Ignition/Electrical problem in 1999/2000 S40

Hello all,

Brief description of my issue:

Trying to start my car this morning and the lights in the dashboard were flickering/dim and I think I remember a sizzling sound that I'm starting to interpret as being a short occurring somewhere. The starter clicked but the car didn't attempt to start. After turning the key off and back on the car now has no indication of power going to the dashboard. Was fairly convinced that the ignition switch had died on me, all the fuses are ok. Some brief tests indicated that there was power going to the ignition switch, putting a 12V feed into the outputs from the switch also brought the dash to life. Further tests indicate that the switch seems to be ok but that the live coming in is under powered with the voltage measured at 8.8V rather than the 12V at the battery.

Anyone have any suggestions as to the nature/possible cause of the problem? I was thinking perhaps a relay fault but am unsure if this would cause an under-voltage at the switch? Also I suppose if there was a short in the line at some point this would affect it but surely a fuse would have gone?

The car has had no previous electrical issues.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Hex