In-Line Magnetic Filters for Volvo??

Anyone had any expereince with the product listed below? I added the URL so anyone could check it out.. it sounds a *little* like snake oil, but on the other hand might really work well... any idea?

Oil flows through your automatic transmission and power steering system to transmit power, lubricate parts and provide cooling. Contaminants (like dirt, metal fragments and fibers) result in the oil working like sandpaper. Instead of lubricating, the oil gradually wears out the parts it's supposed to protect. Under normal driving conditions, the oil can be contaminated in just 25 hours of driving.

The most damaging particles are actually the microscopic ones (3-4 microns in size) because they become crushed and jammed between the working surfaces of the components. Magnefine filters stop ferrous metal below the sub-micron level! The remaining metal and dirt is stopped by the paper element.

Installing a Magnefine in-line filter will remove 99.997% of damaging contamination, making the oil cleaner than when your vehicle first left the factory. And keeps it that way.

'7&RootIDb9

Reply to
Steve

EXCELLENT point Marvin. Kind of like on of those "Duh" things.. well I'm still curious, I know there are metal framents in transmission fluid.. it's a neat idea.

Reply to
Steve

'7&RootIDb9 If auto makers could improve their products this easily, why don't they do it?

Reply to
Marvin Margoshes

Inquiring minds want to Know?

Could it be that if they run too l>

Reply to
AJ

Reply to
R Weinberger

The vast majority of failed transmission that I see in my shop fail due to foreign material contamination--read--clutch material, either from the transmission or the torque converter. This material is not ferromagnetic--just won't stick to a magnet.

A better investment is a good tranny service based on manufacturer recommend intervals and the type of use you give your vehicle. This will get you a visual inspection of the condition of the material in your pan, if any and hopefully there is not any. A new filter will be installed, bands tightened if so equipped. If you go to shop that uses a "kidney flusher" that is good-but unless the pan is dropped you do not get a fresh filter. With the power flush your torque converter will be refreshed as well--this is a relatively new piece of equipment and is a plus when combined with a pan drop, filter install and visual inspection.

Reply to
The Sweeney's

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 08:11:05 +0000, Steve wibbled about:

I intend to cut one open fairly soon and see whats inside - but from the ouitside they feel well made.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Nugent

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 16:23:32 GMT, AJ wibbled about:

Thats my view as well.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Nugent

Filters can do a lot of harm. If the filter doesn't stand up to the fluids and heat, it can start breaking down and cause damage. A filter can get clogged and create an obstruction. A poor filter is much worse than no filter at all.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 22:40:54 GMT, "Stephen M. Henning" wibbled about:

I have mailed the President of the company that makes these to get their resp Sean

Reply to
Sean Nugent

COOL!!!!

Make a descriptive new header... [Magnetic Filters and Proof they Work!!] or don't

this thread may get stale by the time the prez replies!

Reply to
Steve

Take apart a dead hard drive. There are one or two very strong rare earth magnets in the head positioning servo. Stick one magnet on the outside of the oil filter. It will stay there by itself. The field is strong enough the it will penetrate the filter. Next oil change cut the filter open and see a dark smudge of fine deposits in the place where the magnet was. Just how much good does this do I do not know but the price is right.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see: Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs

Boris Mohar

OK thats easy enough! We used to play with them around the office... strong little buggers!

Wonder what one would do on the tranny pan?

:)

Reply to
Steve

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 18:39:26 +0000, Steve wibbled about:

Cynic

The reply quoted below

We should be able to address these issues. Extensive fleet and laboratory testing (by the car companies)of the Magnefine has not shown failure of the filter media. In addition, the filter has an internal metal structure that keeps the media from collapsing. He is right about the use of "cheap" media filters in this application as any degradation of the media could cause failure. We use the combination of a 25 micron filter with the magnet. University studies found that much of the nonferrous materials were brought into the system by wear created by the ferrous materials that are in the fluid. Removal of the ferrous particles substantially decreased the wear of nonferrous materials. The filter does have a bypass valve in the rare event that you could plug the media. We have no recorded failure of the transmission that was caused by a filter failure. Our fleet testing for approval with Ford Motor subjected the filter to some of the most extreme conditions (taxi fleets in Las Vegas).

Hopefully, this will help clarify some of the issues.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Nugent

Yes, the CEO of the company that makes them likes them. But they may have some recorded failures of transmissions that the filter was supposed to protect. However, he didn't say that CEO of the Ford Motor Company, the company that tested them on a fleet of taxis in Las Vegas liked them. That would have some credibility.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:12:45 GMT, "Stephen M. Henning" wibbled about:

The answer to that was

"Ford is usually reluctant to endorse a product. They consider their approval as an endorsement. I will see if there is anything that we can use in addition to their approval of the product."

Sean

Reply to
Sean Nugent