Installing big 940 fuel tank into 740?

Hi guys,

I know for certain that from '93 940's (both Sedan and Wagon) received a larger 75 litre (19.8 USGal) fuel tank, which was 25% larger than what the

740's and early 940's (up to '92) had. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried fitting the larger tank to an earlier model that came with the smaller tank, and if so was the installation straightforward?

If anyone has a '93 and later model 940 at home, as well as a 740 or earlier

940 (up to '92), can they please take a look for me and let me know how different are the fuel tanks, and if it's going to be easy to swap them over?

P.S. IRS sedan's, ie. 760's from '88 and 960's, has an even larger fuel tank which holds 80 litres. I know these will NOT fit into cars with solid rear axle so I'm NOT asking about these. The 75 litre tank I am asking about are standard on 940's from '93 which still has the solid rear axle. _________________ Will '90 Volvo 744 GLT B230F converted to B230FB (531 Head & VX3 Cam)

Reply to
William Liao

Interesting idea Will, that would make your car a 97 litre tank! Taking into account all Volvo 740's sold in Australia had the extra 22 litre auxilary tank installed as standard added to the normal 60 litre tank.

Reply to
Peter Gottschald

Yes, that is the idea. I will have a total of 97 litre fuel tank, which will give my car an estimate range of around 1,150km (most I've done so far with 82 litre tank is 950km). I'll be able to do Brisbane - Sydney easily with plenty of fuel to spare!

Anyway I bought a 75 litre fuel tank from a '93 940 already, so far it looks like everything should fit. The only problem I can foresee is the fuel gauge reading may not be correct (I'll be using the fuel tank sender and in-tank fuel pump that came with the 940 tank). But that's a small penalty I am willing to pay. _________________ Will '90 Volvo 744 GLT B230F converted to B230FB (531 Head & VX3 Cam)

Reply to
William Liao

Is it possible to do something similar with a '93 240? I would gladly replace the 60 litres tank by something larger.

Reply to
Patrick

i would think each tank will have its own guage...just hide another guage somewhere you can get acess and read when you wonder...then wire up a dula guage to give you the reading for the new tank...nice thought...let us all know how the install and config goes...extra fuel on board (if you dont mind the weight...est @ 6 lbs per gal..?)...would be nice and handy...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Reply to
John Robertson

That's 10 lbs for each Imperial Gallon mate! Somewhere around 2.5 lbs /Litre.

Cheers, Peter.

: > Anyway I bought a 75 litre fuel tank from a '93 940 already, so far it looks : > like everything should fit. The only problem I can foresee is the fuel : > gauge reading may not be correct (I'll be using the fuel tank sender and : > in-tank fuel pump that came with the 940 tank). But that's a small penalty : > I am willing to pay. : > _________________ : > Will : > '90 Volvo 744 GLT : > B230F converted to B230FB (531 Head & VX3 Cam) : >

Reply to
Peter Milnes

One litre of petrol is around 0.72kg (learnt that from flight training, had to make sure I don't overload the airplane). Since there is only 2.2 lbs in

1kg, in other words one litre of petrol should only be 1.584 lbs. _________________ Will '90 Volvo 744 GLT B230F converted to B230FB (531 Head & VX3 Cam)
Reply to
William Liao

All Australian 700 series sedan got the auxiliary 22 litre tank in the boot as standard (I am in Australia too). 60 litre main tank + 22 litre auxiliary tank gives you a total of 82 litres.

As I was saying, 940's from '93 got a new, larger 75 litre main tank instead of the old 60 litre tank. If I replace the 60 litre tank with 75 litres in my car, my total fuel capacity would be 75 + 22 = 97 litres. That's what I'm trying to achieve. _________________ Will '90 Volvo 744 GLT B230F converted to B230FB (531 Head & VX3 Cam)

Reply to
William Liao

replying to William Liao, Adrian Harrison wrote: So it is now 12 years later - I have a top spec burgundy 760GLE sedan in original condition ready to register (RHDrive) in Sydney Australia. This thread alerted me to a number of useful features. My vehicle was a one owner and I consider it a fine looking pocket limmo. Do any of the blokes above still have theirs? Some company would be nice! Tiny

Reply to
Adrian Harrison