Installing rear seat in 960

Hi,

We are installing a rear facing seat in a '92 960. The car currently has a Volvo cargo/dog gate installed to two pivot points near the roof. Are these the same holes that the seat belt assembly for the rear seat bolt to?

We haven't been able to find a schematic drawing for installing the seat and all we have to go by is that there are the written instructions that some "predrilled" holes for the seat belts are "somewhere" under the panelling.

Thanks, Andy I.

Reply to
brackenburn

I hope its a wagon ;)

But seriously, I think the seats used to fold up out of the floor, and the floor on this option was probably quite different. I'd say its a risky thing installing a non OEM setup in the rear, especially if the vehicle was involved in an accident and then insurance investigators notice the non OEM seat. I know that the V70 third seat option had quite the unique rear floor setup, looked quite different from the regular one.

That, and I'm surprised that Volvo even had this option, I mean, your legs would have to have to be near the rear door, and IF you were rear ended, ummm, that doesn't look safe. I'd never put anyone I love back there.

Reply to
Myron Samila

non OEM setup

No Volvo came from the factory with a third seat. All were installed by dealers or owners, and all Volvo wagons have had all necessary hardware for this installation for at least 25 years. And I suppose that seating position is not as safe if you're rear ended, but it's probably safer if the car runs into something, which is statistically more likely! If you're really worried about risk, don't ever cross the street!

Reply to
Mike F

Over the rear wheel wells are a couple of grilles. The seatbelts mount under that panel and come out through where those grilles currently are. They then pivot on a point directly above there behind the plastic panel between the top of the window and roof liner. There's a tracing on the back of those panels what needs to be cut out.

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks Mike.

Andy I.

Reply to
brackenburn

a non OEM setup

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Yeah, heheh, a Geo Metro passes the bumper test.

Check

to see what some of these little cars fair in an accident. I found most Hyundai's to fail miserably (Accent, Elantra, Sonata was ok, as well as the Sante Fe).

Kia didn't do well.

There is even a column for deathrate :(.

What makes a car safe to me isn't only how it absorbs and distributes impact, its the way in which you can avoid it. I like how Volvo's actually handle very well. I was surprised how well my 760 handles, hey, I drive a Fiat X1/9 everyday, its a slot car, and the Volvo impressed me. To me, that means a lot!! And the braking is decent.

Reply to
Myron Samila