Intermittant ignition?

Hello, We have a '98 V70 AWD. During the past few weeks, the ignition has been a little flaky. You turn the key and the lights, etc. all come on but the car does not start...it's almost like there is another 1/8 of a turn or something that is blocked, but it does not feel like a physical obstruction. Try to turn it again and it may start, or it may take 5-7 times.

At first, it seemed to coincide with the first start on cold mornings (i.e., around freezing), but that does not appear to be a constant. Yesterday, we were out for a few hours, came into the house and when the wife went to go to the store, it took 2-3 mins to get it going.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave

don't know about your specific car, but there should be a switch in the system that prevents starting unless the transmission is in PARK or NEUTRAL. Perhaps the mechanical linkage is loose, or the switch is going bad. The next time it refuses to start, try moving the shifter a little, to see if the problem is there.

Reply to
Al Dente

You're having a problem with either the electrical part of the ignition switch, or the key/tumbler part. Both are common failures, the electrical part is easy to change, the key/tumbler part requires a special order to match your existing key. Fix this problem now, before it leaves you stranded.

Reply to
Mike F

Al, Thanks for the reply. However, this did not do the trick.

Thank you, Dave

Reply to
Dave

Mike, Thanks for the reply. I don't suppose there's an easy way to tell which is the culprit (i.e., would an OBDII read be able to tell the difference?)?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave

It's probably the electrical part, it's an easy replacement, and quite reasonable.

Note that this link is for the 850, your V70 has some slight detail differences.

Reply to
Mike F

Usually happens when I've just started the car in the morning and have to stop the engine for something (like going back into the house). Occassionally it's a stall condition. So far, it's been about once a month or whenever I'm in a rush and forget NOT to stop the engine....

Determining the faulty part is fairly easy: Wiggle the key in the lock and try seeing if the car starts. If that doesn't work.... Wiggle the gearstick back and forth and hard against the stops. You may need to release the lock on the gearstick to do this.

Do this for several sessions so you have consistent results, and go from there...

However, whenever it's happened to me, I'm in a flaming hurry and falming late and people are watching me and I'm totally flaming mad that I can't spend the ten minutes per instance to determine which happens consistently.....

Can take up to 30-40 minutes in some situations for things to work right, but the last time (the flaming one) was wiggle keys, DARN!!! Wiggle gearstick, DARN!!! Drop a few flaming bon-mots.... Really wiggle both hard. It's ALIVE!!!! Don't stop, get going before something else happens.

Reply to
Byrocat