intermittent fuel gauge, any pointers?

Hi there, my fuel gauge will sometimes work, sometimes not, hard to tell. can someone tell me which wires coming out of the tank are which?

there are about four of them, I am assuming power and ground for in tank pump

and power and ground for float level gauge sender.....whichone is which? thanks kevin My manual is on the way from california, help much appreciated.

cheers Kevin

Reply to
mgcarma

What car is this? I'd guess a Volvo of some sort but it would help if you could narrow things down.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
mgcarma

Yellow-red is for the tank pump. Gray is for the sender. Brown is ground.

Reply to
Mike F

If you can access the screw where the ground wire from the sender connects it might help to scrape away the paint under the screw. That was the problem on my 765T when the guage became intermittent.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

At least with the 940, the most common culprit seems to be cold solder joints inside the combined instrument. Jarkka

Reply to
Jarkka