IPD Nivomat Conversion Kit - 1993 940t

anyone using the IPD nivomat conversion kit on their 940? i just up graded my front struts to the hd biletein struts...and i am ready to "do" the rear...my 940 has just under 250,000 miles on origional "factory equipment"...so...i see IPD has a kit to onvert to springs and hd bilsteins on the rear...vs. the factory "nivomat" set up...if anyone is using this "mod" , how do you like it? can you feel a difference in driving? thanx.....

IPD Nivomat Conversion Kit - 1993 940t

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

I would think that you will lose the advantage of the Nivomats if you convert (especially if you have a wagon). The Nivomats work with a weaker spring set than ordinary shockers. Nivomats work just as well with heavy duty springs and tend to last a bit longer into the bargain. My 945 has the original Nivomats with HD springs since new in 1995 (1996 model). The HDs were specified when ordered.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

I went with the Bilsteins and overload spring set in the rear of our 85

765T - should be not too different from your vehicle. The result is a little stiff, but since the original Nivomats were pretty bad I can't say whether it is an improvement or not. I like the result.

BTW - changing the coils is trivial once the shocks are removed. A single bolt holds each one on.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I agree about the bold being easy, unless it is stuck. I had this happen once, and the head of the bolt came loose before the nut did. Pretty easy to take care of with torches after that point :)

That is unlikely, since my car was around 20 years old, while the 940 in question is about half that age.

Reply to
Jim Carriere