Is error code memory volatile?

The engine check light on my 1999 (2000MY) V70 2.5D(iesel) has been on for a while - almost certainly because I turned the ignition on with some of the fuses removed (don't ask!) and it thought there was an emission system fault.

In the past, various people have suggested that the code would clear itself after a number of fault-free journeys. It hasn't!

I *could* get my local Volvo dealer to clear the code, but they want over 45 GBP for 5 minutes work to do it!

The thought occurs to me that, if the code is held in volatile memory, and if I disconnect the battery for a suitable length of time (yes, I *do* know the radio code) it might 'forget' the error.

Does anyone know whether this is likely to work? Is anything else of importance likely to be lost? [Presumably things like oddometer reading are in non-volatile memory?].

TIA

Reply to
Roger Mills (aka Bonnet Lock

Why don't you check on the Volvo Owners Club (UK) website forums? URL is

the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Often times when troubleshooting a code on later model cars for whatever reason the MIL won't reset or communication with the scan tool is faulty so most techs will disconnect the battery cables hold them together for a minute or two to discarge any capacitors holding current or poending codes, reconnect the cables, fire up the motor, drive it around a little and let it relearn the necessary adaptation. If the light returns there is a real fault. If it doesn't you just performed a successful cold reboot. Mileage and such is all written to an eeprom, no worries.

Bob

Reply to
User