Is the door lock actuator on the drivers door a full working one?

I have a 1995 940 sedan I'm trying to put keyless entry in. I was checking the drivers door lock and it has what appears to be the same actuator as the other doors but has to be shifted manually (to lock and unlock the door).

Question: Is what's connected to that lock functionally the same if wired differently? Can I use it and just rewire in order to make it keylessly actuate the drivers lock? Or am I going to have to install another actuator?

Or, should I just scrap the idea of having this convenience!

Any help is always appreciated

Thanks Don B.

Reply to
Don B.

While the "box" that contains the actuator (passenger doors) and the switch (driver's door) look the same they're (as I've implied) not. There is a combo switch/actuator that was used on the 780 models, and maybe was included in some alarm kits. So you need to install some kind of actuator, what's there is only a switch.

Reply to
Mike F

Further to Mike's message there is a switch actuated by the door locking indicator button which is for actuation of central locking function. This is only on driver's door so that the driver's key can operate the central locking function. This has to be wired into the alarm or immobiliser circuitry for central locking to work from a remote fob.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

On the 7/900 cars, since the lock rod moves with the key as well as the knob, one switch is used. The switch is really a proximity device that triggers the relay to power the servos up or down.

Bob

Reply to
User

If it's the same as my '92 940, you'll have to replace the driver's door switch with a combined switch / actuator, as Mike says. That's what I had to do when I fitted an alarm / immobiliser / keyless entry combo and it added about 30% to the price (from an auto electrician, not Volvo).

Reply to
Andrew McKenna