Is there an 850 horn contact repair kit yet?

Well, after honking my horn at one of Atlanta's many mobile idiots today, my 94 850 succumbed to the dreaded crumbling horn contact failure:

Left: The one that sounded the horn until I pulled the fuse. Right: What it looks like with all the plastic gone, The tip is 2mm thick, and the supporting ring underneath was 2mm as well, producing a total 4mm protrusion above the bracket surface.

I could see that a whole steering wheel would be the only factory fix..

Still, where there's a will (and cheapness), there's a way:

First try: Machine screw, insulating washers, shrink tubing:

it didn't seem too durable, and I didn't have enough washers. Second try: Some plastic rod stock and my old lathe:
contact insulator on left, my version on right. The original has some plating on the tip. There's no tarnish, so Idoubt it's silver. Any ideas what metal it is?

With ready made screw-based contacts and the plastic parts, this would be an easy & cheap fix, The ring terminals can be easily pulled off the original contacts and they fit nicely around the screws. Is Volvo or anyone else currently selling repair kits?

To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are vermin. Please kill them.

Reply to
Doug Warner

And, one of the four restored contacts. I coated them with silver solder.

works fine now.About 5 hours work, including trial & error "sculpting" of the plasticparts.