Is this reasonable? Wiper "transmission" and left passenger door lock s80 1999

Took the car in for a quote at an import repair shop (not Volvo). Their quote to repair the "Wiper Motor transmission?" was $841. To fix the left passenger door lock (it won't unlock with the remote; only manually) was $450.00. These just see high enough to be obscene. Anyone with any recommendations? We're likely going to take it to a different shop tomorrow.

Yours, Bill

- Charlotte home foreclosures

Reply to
Bill from www.rlstate.com

Not reasonable, but Volvo parts are sometimes exspensive, find a Volvo specialty shop, usually a factory trained tech. has started his own business and let him know you need him for the long term, also ask about used parts for the repair.

Reply to
sjoblom1

Door lock: I have changed 3 of them (Volvo parts) on my 1998 S70 for less then they are quoting you for one.

(repairs and maintenance) will show you how to do it. If one has given up already, you can rest assured the other ones will do the same in the not so distant future...

Reply to
Peete

For sure, keep looking.

Seek a small shop that specializes in old Volvos: they're out there.

The wiper transmission could be a real bear to repair, as it is waaaaaay under the dash, inaccessible, and would seem to require a lot of stuff be removed to access it.

Reply to
Mr. V

i THINK THEY ARE SAYING "GO ELSEWHERE" AS THIS IS SILLY PRICING

Reply to
John Robertson

When will it all stop? It seems like this car has need for one repair after the other. Maybe it's just a car that always wants someone TOUCHING it. Is there any way to keep the thing from imploding?

-Bill

Reply to
Bill from www.rlstate.com

Sometimes expensive? I've been working on BMWs and the Volvo parts department left me with a surreal sense of sticker shock. e.g., $254 for a blower motor! I took it apart, oiled it, and put it back in just this morning. Nice and quiet now. Here's hoping I don't need to do it more than once a year. (Yes, Virginia, the Bimmer parts are less expensive. Much.)

JRE

(Recently acquired a '95 850.)

Reply to
JRE