It's RUNNING!

First, I want to thank all teh kind folks who offered assistance and advice on and off the list trying to help me sort out the problem.

To refresh your memory, it began with a car that idled roungh and eventually became a car that would rev to 200 upon starting then would die if the accelerator pedal weren't revved repeatedly.

I went through all the common things- looked for vacuum leaks, torn or cracked hoses, leaking injector seals, etc. A lot of the symptoms pointed toards a bad Air Mass Meter, but at $160 and up for a rebuilt (and they seem to have earned dubious respect generally), and $700 or so and up for a new one, I decided to check everything i could. After some exhaustive testing that revealed just a bit more thyan nothing I took a trip into town to the pick 'n pull yard.

They had expanded since I last visited and there were a LOT of Volvos. Mostly 240's of the mid-80's, a couple 740s, and even a 140 wagon! I had a shopping list and looked under the kick panels of a LOT of cars, but could not find any matching computers. What I did find were THREE matching AMMs! Two of them had been pulled and left in the engine compartment as they must have not been what someoen was looking for. I also found a few small parts I needed- a few panel fasteners and the two rubber plugs that go in the bottom of the spare tire wells. The three AMMs cost me a total of $80 $25 each +tax, and $1 to get into the place), and they guy didn't even bother charging me for the small parts.

I also learned that when someone takes the gas supports for a wagon the resulting tailgate is REALLY difficult to hold up in the air, and that little shards of broken window glass are VERY sharp.

Anyway, I get home and set the three AMMs aside because I am too chicken to try them right away. later, with nerve built, I had to go out to the garage to get the motorcycle cleaned up for a ride tomorrow, so before I moved the 240 (which blocks the bike) I picked one of the better looking AMMs and installed it- about three long minutes later we find our hero in teh driver's seat with key inserted into the ignition switch... PI.... PII.. a bit further and....

It starts... it revs to about 1500... holds, a drop in RPMs and then a smooth, steady, idle!!!!! YEAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

One thing I noticed when I removed the old one, it had "240" written on it with a felt marker on the metal housing. I am thinking that this was a replacement, and God-knows-how old it was when it was installed, and who knows how long it was in there.

So I sit here now with two SPARE AMMs (Ya, I know. It's sort of like wearing two condoms, but safety first!), a beautifully running 240, and a feeling of relief, as well as one of gratitude to the group.

If you folks ever need any coffee advice, drop by my other hang out- alt.coffee

On a lighter note, I drove the 960 into town this AM, and with 130,000 miles (more or less) the thing is running stronger than when I bought it 30,000 miles ago. What a beautiful car to drive...

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Thanks a bunch for the feedback. The next people with symptoms like that will have better tuned advice for it!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Looks like I finally got lucky. I tested the other two AMMs I had put aside and they were BOTH GOOD! One is getting sealed and packed and stored in the car, for sure!