Just bought a 240 on eBay...

...and I'd welcome opinions, if anyone wants to take a look and tell me what they think.

Thanks! Patricia

P.S. If you have trouble with the link/URL, it's eBay item #2480957324.

$80957324&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Reply to
PButler111

Er, that auction is still running. . . ~~~ Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt on the Iraqi "wedding" that was attacked - 'There may have been some kind of celebration. Bad people have celebrations, too.'

My eBay Stuff:

John in NH

Trust me, it won't be for long. He just hasn't gotten around to taking it down yet. Any thoughts on the car?

Reply to
PButler111

It looks nice. Very clean under the hood, so someone's been looking after it... Makes me miss my old 245. Best car I ever owned.

Good luck

RS

PButler111 wrote:

Reply to
Rusty

The fact that the true mileage is unknown is not a good sign perform a carfax report on the vin # posted & see what if anything comes up on the report

Reply to
G Klein

Yes, I did do Carfax, and I can see exactly what happened with the mileage. The mileage readings were all consistent over the span of registration renewals, but it looks pretty obvious at the next to last reading there's a typo and the first three digits are typed 188 instead of 100. It's corrected on the next registration renewal. I've discussed it with the dealer as well, and I'm satisfied with his assurance of the true mileage. The car is also warrantied, and will be thoroughly checked by my own Volvo mechanic, who can certainly tell a 188,000 mile engine from a 101,000 mile engine, so I feel pretty confident about it. (By the way, everything else checks out on Carfax.)

Reply to
PButler111

AJS

Reply to
AJS

A dealer cannot certify a mileage with certainty - since he has not driven it for those miles himself he cannot report it as a known fact. To do so may leave him wide open to litigation.

Any dealer who tells you the reading is the true mileage is almost certainly attempting to mislead you.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

I can understand what you're saying, but I'm not a complete rube. As Faye-Dunaway-as-Joan-Crawford would say, "This isn't my first time at the rodeo." A lot of factors went into the decision to take a chance on this car. For one thing, it's cosmetically beautiful which, I'm sure I don't have to tell you, is pretty important in these old 240s, as rust will kill them quicker than anything engine-related. Second, the car checks out in every other way, and, as I said, I can see how a mistake could have been made in reporting the mileage, so I'm more inclined to believe what the dealer says. Third, I got the car at a really low price, so even if for some reason it only lasted me a year, I'd still come out ahead. Fourth, the seller has a long history on eBay and a good feedback rating from other car buyers. And last, but far from least, the car comes with a warranty. If I get it home and have my mechanic give it a thorough inspection and he doesn't think -- for whatever reason -- it's worth what I paid for it, I have some remedy. (And, before someone says it, I'm not worried about resale problems down the line, as I usually end up giving my old cars to charity when I'm done with them.)

But, as I said, I can understand the concerns some of you have expressed. I'm happy to email the Carfax report to any of you if you're interested in seeing it.

Patricia

Reply to
PButler111

very nice!!...you done good there son.. ;-) i scooped up my 1993 940t via eBay...got a great deal...they are out there...you just have to know what you are doin and what to l@@k for...some GREAT used volvos....good luck !!.....

richard colorado

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Thanks for the kudos -- and the penis! My mother always wanted a son (I mean in addition to the four she had).

;-) Patricia

Reply to
PButler111

Looks like an excellent specimin, not my favorite color but I think you'll be very happy with the car.

Reply to
James Sweet

opps...sorry for the "appendage" ... enjoy the 240...it l@@ks very clean & nice...

richard / colorado