Keyless Remote Fobs for 2000 S80 $260????

Tell me there's another way! Please! Got a used Y2K S80 T6, previous owner lost fob/remote. Volvo of Santa Monica wants to sell me a new one, with the PIN, for $130, plus $30 for software downloaded to the car, and one hour of labor at $100! What a racket! Has anyone found another way to get one of these for less dough? Or am I stuck using the key (not that that's such a tragedy). Thx for your help!

Reply to
demiurge

Your stuck with the key if you chose not to pay the dealer Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

It is a bit unreasonable even for Volvo. The 940 alarm has an external programming rig, the parts guy offered to put it on for nothing if I bought the key fob, in the end I wasn't sure if the unit was faulty or not so I fitted a new alarm for the price of 2 volvo keyfobs. Most of the wiring was already there. I guess you went through the service centre, these guys rely on people with lots of money spending it on cars

Reply to
Tony

Reply to
demiurge

The on-off thingy only works on the 850 (and maybe some of the other ones from the mid 90s.) All the later ones require some sort of electronic tool to program the car to recognize the remotes.

Reply to
Mike F

My dealer reconed the 96 940 did this (but not the 95), but we couldn't get it to work so I fitted an after market alarm. Also I couldn't find the alarm initially, so had thought it wasn't fitted (except for led and glass break sensor), feel a bit stupid now.

In the 95 its under the steering wheel generally strapped up, in the 96 its bolted in beside the glove box LHS (RHD of course).

The units look similar, but have different leds and keyfobs.

-- Tony

Reply to
Tony