Kick down cable maybe? Tranny probs

Would these symptoms sound like a kick down cable problem? Not the engine lights, etc., but the tranny slipping and shifting better manually.

Here's the mechanic report:"

I started the engine and took it down the road. The engine runs fine. However, with the transmission in drive it slips so badly I can't get the car up to speed. If I run through the gears manually it seems to do better. I think the trannie is going south. There are also electrical problems that I can't figure out. After going down the road about half a mile, every warning light on the dash came on except for the low oil pressure light. I got it back home and parked it in front of the shop."

Reply to
Jamie

What year and model would be a good starting point.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Sorry, this was picked up off of my first post about Tranny problem.

1987 740 GLE B230F 200,000 miles

just visited the mechanic after putting in the engine, I found a couple wires disconnected (static ground) and still one exposed - possible short.

It took a while to even get the engine to start - won't start without starter fluid sprayed into the intake. Replaced the fuel pump relay then checked circuit breakers.

When engine starts, tranny is slipping. We drove down the road and it was working to shift up and down. We're going to change fluid and filter in the tranny.

Here's the kicker - the new wiring harness is minus one connector than the old. At the starting point at the passenger firewall corner are two large block connectors, and then one small, two prong female receiver connector with blue and brown wires (2). This terminates near the starter motor.

The harness I got from Dave Barton is missing this connector, so if we were to make a harness using my old connector, I know where the starting end connects near the firewall, but have NO IDEA where the end near the starter connects. Out of the new harness are a red wire to the starter, a green wire to the starter, then there is supposed to also be a blue and a brown wire in a 2 prong connector, connecting to I do not know what.

So, last but not least, while driving down the road, the engine lights light up the dash- almost all of them!

Any thoughts on what the missing wires go to near the starter?

jamie

Reply to
Jamie

OK, finally! I found an image on Barton's site that answers the question- I am 99% sure. The 2 prong connector goes to the alternator.

the blue and brown wires near the starter wires.

Reply to
Jamie

But...I don't have the car and there may be more of one of those connectors. The mechanic will check in the morning.

Reply to
Jamie

I think this is where it goes. Voltage regulator on Alternator.

Jamie

Kickdown cable problems should only make the trans reluctant to shift, not make it slip, and it should still shift fine manually, IIRC.

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski

OK, positive news from the mechanic:

He changed the oil and filter in the tranny and saw "dramatic improvement." I think I should not have said the tranny was slipping, I should have said, "trouble shifting". I could use the gas pedal to shift, or use the gearshift. It didn't want to change gears easily.

He adjusted the kickdown cable too - to be sure.

The engine won't start without blowing starter fluid into the intake. I recently replaced the fuel pump relay - but I also replaced the ignition switch with a $10 one I bought used on eBay - it came with a free electric window switch. I think the switch must be crap - and it's causing the dash lights to light up and not engage the fuel pump with the ignition.

So, I'm looking for a working igniton switch at a fair price and thoughts on how much a faulty switch could affect dash lights and starting (fuel) problems.

Thanks! jamie

1987 Volvo 740 GLE "Ovlov's Dog"
Reply to
Jamie