knocking under front on s80 volvo?

hi got this slight knock going over rough ground, 2000 s80, from nearside front. checked all suspension and bearings, someone mentioned that there was a mod carried out by dealers on the front suspension mounting to the body, any help please. before i take it to a very expensive dealer!

col

Reply to
colin231

Have you checked the steering ball-joints?

Reply to
Roger Mills

yep, i had some knocking on my 00 s80, ball joints...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Check the MacPherson stut mounts.

Reply to
Roadie

everything seems ok, cannot move any ball joints, but will maybe jack it up again and have a look, thanks for all the help

Reply to
colin231

Did the knocking occur when going in a straight line, or when on a tight curve? I don't know whether the S80/New V70 are the same but the old S/V70s used to suffer from a knock at full lock on rough ground if the lock stops weren't lubricated. At full lock, a nylon pad on the suspension moves up and down against the lock stop and makes an awful noise. A smear of grease on the pads fixes it.

Reply to
Roger Mills

on rough ground there is no knock, but slightly bumpy roads say a small pothole, it knocks, but not when turning ect. seems only on the nearside front. maybe it is a worn joint that does not show up when i jack the car up. col

Reply to
colin231

my joints knocked when cold in the am.....not so bad later in the day, once things warmed up......

richard colorado

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

I heard the knockin'. I paid for struts and mounts. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

bf

Reply to
bfiske

yeh, all that has been done 2 months ago.

still a knocking col

Reply to
colin231

hi

it seems just from n/s front, on normal roads, no knock, but any small bumps and it starts, not very loud, i did notice some play on the top suspension mount, under the bonnet (hood) but maybe that was just some bearing play. as the nut was very tight. col

Reply to
colin231