Lambda light on?

Hi my 850 M reg almost ran out of fuel three days ago. I felt a sudden loss of power and realised what was up (silly me) and then it finally allowed me to chug along at 20 mph for 4 miles to the nearest fuel station without actually cutting out. which was brill, I was very impressed. But when I restarted it, which happened immediately, no problems, I noticed the lambda light was on and has stayed on since then. It seems to be running the same as it usually does, can anyone tell me what could be the problem please. thanks Chris

Reply to
outofthewoods

Possibly crud in the bottom of the fuel tank which has now coated the lambda sensor and ruined it. Silicone car polishes will do this if they ever get into the tank. Many tanks have a little water trapped in them - as it's beneath the petrol it's low in oxygen and so doesn't cause (much) rusting. When you run the tank low enough, this can get picked up and fed to the engine. Water-soluble contaminants will concentrate in here too.

Check your ECU fault codes. If they say the lambda sensor is dead, it's time to swap it. Not much else you can do.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks for that I had a feeling that was probably going to be the problem. I'll check out the codes. Chris

Reply to
outofthewoods

Is there anything i could do to bring back to life a contaminated O2 sensor? ( Regina) Thinking of heating it with a plumbers butane torch, dipping it in some sort of crudding solvent...its gone anyway so no harm done.in experimenting. Pedro I.

Reply to
proaire

NO.

(sorry)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Hi Chris,

had the same on my Volvo 940. Deconnect your battery for half an hour, reconnect and it should be ok ;-)

Greetz,

Chris

Reply to
Blackbird-EBOS