last chance for 760 T

My wife has given notice...it the 1985 760t doesn't stop conking out when she's driving at 100klms p hour 60mps then she want's a new car...gasp.

what is going on.

it is very intermittent but what happens is the car just seems to die when you're driving along at speed but I suspect mostly when my wife pumps the accelerator as she drives... I'm pretty sure the electrics keep going and I've replaced the fuel filter.

could it be

the pump? dirty injectors?? plugs??? leads????

what do I replace first.?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Hosking

BUY HER A NEW CAR? why not.

my 85 745 did the same problem. finally it was fixed by taking every connection and polichsing with an eraaser tip until shiny. then the problem went away for about 6 years. then when it happened again, i got a v70xc awd :-)

Reply to
klh

Start by making sure the fuel pump relay is okay.

AC

Reply to
Aawara Chowdhury

Where is the fuel pump relay?

Reply to
Paul Hosking

In the center console, forward of the fuses (remove the ashtray.) It is the rectangular white plug-in in the second row back, at the left end of the row as you look into the opening. The cover can be pried off, and the solder connections inspected in good light - my aging eyes require sunlight now. The normal failure takes the form of hairline cracks around the larger connections, but you may need a magnifying glass to see them depending on how good your eyes are.

More often the fuel pump relay causes the engine to fail to start when warm rather than killing it while driving. The symptoms sound more like the ignition "power stage" is overheating. That module is mounted on the inside of the fender beside the battery. An important indicator for that is that the tach drops before the engine stops rather than the tach displaying the dying engine's speed faithfully. (Actually, any ignition failure does that also.) The repair is simple and you may want to do it as a precaution: unmount the module, scrub both surfaces clean (I like Scotchbrite for that sort of job) and remount using silicone grease on the mating surfaces.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

how can you be sure? after one trip to service and four days, the mechanic told me when i got it back was the only thing he was sure of was that it was not yet fixed!

and the answer was to clean all the contacts. the 1985 wiring harness was not so good and the rubber breaks down and the contacts corrode. mine was only 6 years old when i started having problems.

the car would stop and then after a few minutes, start again. a tow truck ride was especially good for a restart. after the shop declared it fixed, 30 min later it didn't start. another ride to the dealer and then stayed for a week.

that was when all the connectors got polished and checked. after that it did fine for another 5 years, till nov 1997 and it died again

this time it went to goodwill for somebody to deal with and i ordered a 98 v70xc for overseas delivery!

nothing. check all the electric joints, starting with the computer brain on the front left fender insides.

Reply to
klh

Replace the engine wiring harness and check or replace the hall sensor in the distributor.

Reply to
James Sweet

To tell, a fuel pressure meter might help. Our US ford taurus would fail on and off like that for years, at last I broke down and spent the money for a dx, the shops said the fuel pump was going south slowly.

To tell that the shop guy had a bunch of dx equipment hooked up and just drove it as his car for several days till it failed and he figured it out.

I have no idea if the same thing is happening to the 760, but hey it might be!

Reply to
Steve