Lawyer question

Someone I know in LA bought a used Saab from a San Diego dealer, who represented the car as being in excellent condition. Soon after, this persons mechanic looked at the car and saw that it had been in a collision that bent the frame. He took the dealer to small claims court, and got his money back. The dealer got the car. Your having kept the car for a year may make your case more difficult. Talk to a lawyer.

Reply to
Marvin Margoshes

Hmm ... interesting thought. Can you prove that any/all of the repairs were to pre-existing conditions in the automobile? And that they do not cover items that are recommended to be replaced at some interval -- for eg. timing belt.

I don't know the law, but it would it would seem to me that you would need to prove that the mechanic didn't do what the shop was paid to do in the pre-purchase inspection. For example, if they were paid to do a compression test, but didn't actually do one, you would have a case. Or if he reported incorrect results back to you ...

Bev

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

A truly excellent mechanic at a dealership suggested to me if you are buying a car privately to take the car to a dealer for an inspection. If there is anything wrong with the car the dealer will tell you because if the thing has problems it will be one less vehicle to compete with their used car sales department.

Reply to
Gunner

Hello Lawyers:

We bought a Volvo last year and of course we had a buyers check done by a local shop. Based on the clean bill of heatlh given by the mechanic we bought it. Since then we have spent over $4000 in repairs. To what extent, if any, is the mechanic liable for those expenses? I am generally opposed to plaintif law suits but in this case I really think we were screwed by the mechanic. Perhaps he figured that if we bought it he would get to fix all the problems....

Thanks,

Jim

Reply to
Jim Martin

That and they would (or at least should) know the model best.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

It really depends on the exact nature of the problems you have had. Many, a great many might not have been at all detectable. Most simply cannot be predicted with any reliability. You might post what you have had repaired and the year and model of the car. That could shed light on this. Additionally, a mechanic that in bad faith indicated a car was sound and knew better, could not then reasonably expect you to return to them for any repairs after having broken faith with you in the first place. Does that make any sense?

For whats it's worth I doubt seriously you'd have any claim. If you wish to pursue this I would go to one of those "no fee unless we win" types... that might save you a little more money.

Reply to
Tux

Hi, Jim - - -

Even in our highly litigious society, your case is going exactly nowhere, unless . . .

Did the previewing mechanic in any way warrantee his inspection?

Unless he gave you a very specific, *written* statement of facts, there's no legal leg to stand on. A friendly attorney might be willing to draft a threatening letter for you, but he'd likely be handling it with great care and little expectation of positive result.

Now if the "we" with which you opened you letter *both* heard verbal assurances of perfection, you might possibly have something to go on, but I think that Small Claims Court would be the appropriate venue. In most jurisdictions, the SCC limit is now up to $5,000, so you could recover if the judge were to find in your favor. There is that tiny edge going that the mechanic is the "expert" and you are the "trusting novice" with every reason to take his word has gospel.

Again, though, the written word is the key here. I'm no attorney, but I have spent a lot of time in SCC over the years - partly relating to the fact that I was once in the car business.

Good Luck!

bob noble Reno, NV, USA

Reply to
Bob Noble

Hello Jim,

Saw your posting and maybe I can help If you would like to talk to one of our attorneys in your area email me direct.

Tony Grant PPLS, Inc.

Stop Getting Ripped Off By Mechanics ? And Save Thousands On Car Repairs

GrantOrg