Leaking washer fluid tank

The Haynes manual says that I should fill the washer fluid tank up to about one inch below the top. I did this today and was surprised to see washer fluid running out from under the car.

Initially I figured it was due to sloppy pouring, but the leak continued slowly.

Looking under the car I can see the bottom of the tank and all the hoses in the area look connected. I couldn't see it, but it felt like the leak was coming from a crack on the back of the tank. I *could* get my hand up there.

I also noticed that the tank seems to have a black plastic filler neck and a white tank. Is this white tank have two parts that are molded together and have cracked or is it likely at the junction between black and white plastic? Should I replace or remove and try to patch it up with something?

Thanks

Reply to
Franz Bestuchev

Leakage at the point where the filler tube enters the tank proper is common, Franz. A 98 V70XC that lives in our garage has done this as long as I can remember. The fix is to fill until the sound first takes on a higher note, stop and just let the "excess" drip out. A few fills and the amount lost is such that you lose very little and make essentially no mess. One of Uncle Bob's pragmatic fixes.

bob noble Reno, NV, USA

Reply to
Bob Noble

Any idea how hard it is to pull this assembly out? There's gotta be a way to apply adhesives/sealants to remedy this!

Reply to
Franz Bestuchev

the over flow tube rots needs cutting off where it connects and place new tube in easy job

Reply to
John Robertson