Leasing '07 XC90

Someone posted a question about the leasing deal on an '07 XC90 with the new

3.2 ltr 6-cylinder engine. Nice car --- we've used it as a loaner from our dealer, but we still like our V8 better (it gets better gas mileage).

Anyhow, the lease deal price on the car mentioned by the poster was $45K+, and I would hasten to point out that this sounds like the dealer's lease deal. You need to work your own lease deal, and the first part of that is negotiating the purchase price just as though you were buying the car. $45K for that model is right at the MSRP, which you never pay for a car.. You then need to evaluate the specs of Volvo's and competitive (banks') leasing deals which include the residual value (what the car is worth at the end of the lease period, and consequently what you're paying on the lease, ie., the agreed-upon price (minus a down payment) less the residual, which amounts to the depreciation ), and the interest rate which is expressed as a "cost factor" where the lower, the better. You also need to be sure that it is a closed ended lease (no balloon balance or payoff at the end), and that you have an option to buy the car at the end of the lease period for the residual value. You also need to compare the cost per mile for any mileage in access to the lease-specified mileage for the term of the lease.

We've leased from Volvo when they had a "cost factor" sale, and also from a bank when they had a better deal. We've always leased for 36 months for 15K mi/year (total 45K), and never paid a security deposit or processing fee (everything is negotiable....).

You can't know if you have a good deal for you unless and until you've done this homework and negotiations. In other words, the dealer's deal is favorable to him, not to you, and you can always do better. After all, it's your money. Good luck.

DRawson snipped-for-privacy@cox.net

Reply to
mdrawson

Have you also done the math as they say to compare the long term cost of leasing a new car every 36 months vs buying and holding for the long term? I have yet to find a lease that stands up under that scrutiny, but maybe you have found the rare good deal.

mdraws> Someone posted a question about the leasing deal on an '07 XC90 with the new

Reply to
Roadie

My main reason for buying (which is what I've done on the last 2 Volvos) vs leasing has to do with the miles I now put on a car --- way too much to make leasing viable. An example of the purchase math: I bought an '05 XC90 V8 (MSRP $51K) for $45K, put down $10K and borrowed $35K for 5 yrs at 4.99%. Monthly payment is $660, and since the car is mine I can pay off and/or cash it out whenever. This mo payment is the same as the poster's estimated mo payment with the lease he described.

Reply to
mdrawson

Well, the payments are only one small part of the math to determine whether a lease makes financial sense. Total cost of leasing over and over vs purchasing outright and maintaining the car are what really count. Whenever i've run the numbers outright purchase is the financial winner.

Leasing does allow the buyer to get into a car with minimal upfront payment, and that feature is attractive to those with no down payments I suppose.

mdraws> My main reason for buying (which is what I've done on the last 2 Volvos) vs

Reply to
Roadie

If a person knows that they are going to want a new vehicle every three years or so then leasing can be a smart way to go since you put the residual value uncertainty factor on the other guy's back.

Financially it may make sense to keep a car longer than that or it may not. It really all depends what a person wants and what they are able to afford. Some people are simply bored with a vehicle after three years and want something new and different. More power to them. These folks put good used 3 year old cars onto the market for those who want to minimize depreciation expenses to buy.

Different desires, different choices.

John

Reply to
John Horner

I agree, although the terms of leases can be extremely rigid. Even if the lessee loses his driver's license because of failing eyesight, or even if he dies, typically the lease is still in force. It can be an unpleasant surprise to heirs to have to make monthly payments on a car they didn't want or need. At least a car that was bought on payments can be sold.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

As long as the person leasing a car every three years realizes that they are re-paying the first three years depreciation plus a return many times over then yes that individual can then make an informed decision. But unfortunately the advertising for leases tends to talk in generalities about the financial benefits of leases and does not mention what is really being repaid.

Indeed what I hear over and over is that the individual is preserving his capital by leasing. In reality he doesn't have the money to make a downpayment and repay a loan so he leases. In effect he is getting into a car that is beyond his means.

Reply to
Roadie

Well, yes, that is true. But why should it be otherwise. The individual could have lookied into a monthly rental if those issues were of concern.

The heirs don't have to and should not make lease payments for a leased vehicle in a deceased persons estate. An attorney would give the best advice there.