leave gas tank in?

I'm replacing the in tank gas pump in a 240 Wagon. The car is off the ground enough that the tank lowering is easy. But...I'm not sure how to disconnect the filler hose.. I'm thinking maybe about just removing the top access and pulling the innards out and doing a simple replacement. The problem is that keeping the top of the tank clean could be a problem and wouldn't be if I had the gas tank on a bench. So: A. how do I remove the filler hose ? or B. Good/bad idea to do it through the access port on the floor of the car. All my printed reasources say remove the tank Thanks Rojo

Reply to
Rojo2G

I would leave the tank in, there's no need to remove it. You can clean the top of the tank through the access port. Use compressed air, or one of those engine degreasers followed by a garden hose (just let it dry before continuing!)

Reply to
Mike F