LONG - "Missing" chapter in user manual - tips for turbo-diesel

Hello,

I have just received new V50 with 2.0 diesel. I am new to diesel and turbo-diesel. I hoped that user manual will explain how to drive in the "running in" period and how to drive to assure long life of the engine but I haven't found too much and I am disappointed especially that in service they didn't knew more then "is written" in the manual. So I started to gather information. Can you help me to gather the list of tips for newbies like me?

I already know that:

Bedding in period

1.The most important points are to check the oil and coolant level very regularly, especially the oil. Modern diesels are known for having abit of a thirst for oil, especially whilst bedding in. (Thanks to Tim)
  1. Secondly, make good use of the gears and especially avoid letting the engine labour at low rpm.(Thanks to Tim)
  2. Thirdly, and equally as important as 1 and 2, dont drive it too gently. When fully warmed up, drive it hard, especially for the first 2000 or so miles, but immediately you take delivery. Make full use of the rev range and reach
4000rpm at least acouple of times a day. (Thanks to Tim)
  1. Some people on the discussion groups suggest changing oil after first
1000-5000km to remove small metal particles which appear when engine parts "learn to ccoperate" :-)

Exploitation

  1. Turbine switches on over 2500 rpm. Until engine is warm (I can check it on a cooling fluid indicator) one should drive gently (less then 2500), but of course without letting it work on too low rpm (under 1500?)
  2. Wait 30 - 45 seconds before switching the engine off so the turbine can cool

Thanks in advance for your help!

Rafal

Reply to
Rafal

I'm not sure who Tim is - but I certainly wouldn't agree with parts of his advice!

My advice is:

  • don't use more than 1/2 throttle
  • don't exceed 2,500 rpm (3,000 tops - *certainly* not 4,000!)
  • dont exceed 60mph (96 kph) in any gear
Reply to
Roger Mills