Looking at 2000 S70. Comments welcomed

I'm looking at a 2000 S70 with 66,000. The dealer wants $12,000.00. I would appreciate any comments, advice, things to look for etc. At what mileage are their major services (timing belt, tune up). I have a 95

850 wagon and a 1990 740 which I'm very happy with but I need the front wheel drive for the winter to use instead of the 740. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Phil
Reply to
PK

Edmunds says a comparable S70 non-turbo, automatic with the common options in average condition is worth between $7k on a private purchase to $8k on a dealer purchase.

It's a long shot, but I would ask for service records. Also run a Car Fax check to see if there is anything unusual in the car's history.

Is this a Volvo dealer?

Reply to
Roadie

Yes it is a Volvo dealer. I checked Edmunds and they say this model in excellent condition which this is, books at $10,500 from a dealer in this area. If I can get them down to this price, I'll consider it. It's a trade in from one of their customers so they have all service records. I will run a carfax if I get serious. I've dealt with this dealer before. Thanks for the input.

Reply to
PK

FWIW, I have had no good experiences with Carfax. My son enrolled to check out the Acura he was looking at, and it came up clean. When we worked on it after buying it we noticed much of the front end had been replaced and had wrecking yard markings; hood, radiator support, etc. So he ran a report on my daughter's Honda, and it indicated the car had been a fleet car... but the title showed it to be a single private owner, and he had all the service records to back that up. Carfax also didn't show that it had been stolen once. Maybe your experience will be different.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee