Looking at a car....

I am about to purchase my second Volvo. Wife drives the '93 960 and I need a car, and of course, a Volvo is on the top of the list. Heck! it's the only car on the list! We live in fire-danger country so a wagon will be handy in case of evacuations (two German Shepherds and three cats). I wanted a stick and a 4 cyl. for economy and to put all the power to the wheels (we live in the mountains).

I am going to check out a '90 240 estate (wagon... a 245 to be technical). It is exactly what I was looking for- Wagon, white, 5 speed stick, with air. Although it has nearly 200,000 miles, it looks great from the pics. Besides the usual things (under-door, rocker, wheel well rust, leaks, knocks, rattles, steering looseness, suspension response, radiator crust, and all the rest of what you would check on any car) is there anything specific I should look for with this model/year car? It has had a clutch done once and teh radiator replaced, brakes and tires as well.

The car looks like a 240 (no chrome trim or moldings), but it has a leather interior. Was leather an option, or is this actually a 240DL (there were only those two options in 1990)?

Anyway- we go to look at it in a week (owners goping on vacation and too far to rush over today). We will keep you posted, and TIA for any help.

It's going to be a long week's wait!

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvo '93 960 Estate ...and soon to have a '90 240 estate as well!

Reply to
Randy G.

check for

  • smooth tranny and clutch
  • timing belt service
  • front end shakes and noise
  • water in the oil (head gasket)
  • brakes and linings...

imho...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Thanks!

Yup, those are all stuffed away in my head. he said that he has been taking it to the same mechanic for about 5 years. The Mechanic (an independant) specializes in only Volvos. He did tell me there is a knock in the left front that is a bad shock, but I would bet that it is rear trailing arm rear (cone) bushings if it has those....

Brakes and suspension are not as important to me as motor, tranny, differential, and air conditioning. Most of the rest I can usually fix. I rebuilt the struts on the 960 and it was so easy to work on it was actually fun.