loss of accelerator reponse when on Cruise control - V70 2002

When I have my 2002 V70 T-5 on cruise control, there is a significant dead spot in the accelerator response, if I wish to moderately accelerate to pass another vehicle.

Volvo Techs tell me that I should use the +/- buttons on the steering wheel to do this - however, unless one is conditioned to do this, there can be an unexpected delay in the reponse. I consider this to be a serious safety issue, esp. if you are on a freeway, closing on a vehicle in front, and there is a faster vehicle approaching in the passing lane behind. Under normal circumstances, moderate pressure on the accelerator should be sufficient to temporarily speed up to pass the slower vehicle in front - However, with this cruise control problem, one could get into difficulties if there is an un-anticipated delay in accelerator response.

Has anyone else experienced similar dead spots in accelerator response when in cruise control with theses models? Is this normal behaviour for these "fly-by-wire" accelerators which are only electronically linked to the throttle? My old 850 T never had this problem since it had a real throttle link to the accelerator.

More importantly, does anyone know if there is a fix for this problem?

Thanks Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Bowman

Rob Guenther

The simplest thing to do is hit cancel, pass and hit resume.

What is happening is that you pressing on the throttle until it reaches the level where the cruise is holding it. It feels to you like nothing is happening because you haven't gotten to the point where the cruise is holding it. If you floor it, you should get normal response. If you go beyond the point where cruise is holding it, you should get normal response.

One problem that hits V70s is the throttle sticks in the off position. This is caused due to buildup of crud on the throttle body. This will also cause a dead response when you are going down hill and the throttle sticks. If you leave it in cruise, it will feel like uncontrolled acceleration when the throttle gets unstuck at the bottom of the hill.

Reply to
Stephen Henning