Low mileage, poor performance

Recently someone posted about a 240 with both poor performance and poor mileage. I think the post was with reference to an '89 model. Total mileage was not mentioned, at least in what I saw.

Well, I've not seen this happen personally but an '89 is getting to the point where the catastrophic converter might be buggered up.

The 'Net has sources for converters so, if you've tried everything else, it's probably gotten to converter time.

Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvo since 1974 Currently a '93 240 and a '97 850

Reply to
c.fiedler

In article , wrote: [ ... ]

[ ... ]

Heavens! That might be catalytic!

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

The Haynes manual (of all things!) for my daughter's Honda has a nice way of checking for a blocked cataclysmic converter.

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I'm the gal who posted that original request to which you are referring. Total mileage is 125,000.

The catastrophic converter has just been changed, in this effort to raise mpg. And at the cataclysmic price of $200. That does include the O2 sensor and a couple of clamps to hold it all on. I did the work myself to save labor charges. The volvo mechanic, who was suggesting this, didn't think the converter was original oem equipment, so it may have been done around 60K, and still have been time for another. MPG did go up to 16mpg. And power improved by a small but noticeable amount. Like about a 5mph gear shift improvement. I am still having to rev high before changing to a higher gear, in order to keep from lugging the engine in the initial push in the new gear. v Can't even use fifth gear unless going 65mph. Speedo (and hopefully odometer) is accurate in that it takes exactly 60 seconds to go one measured mile on the interstate.

Thanks Chuck for the idea, tho and also thanks to Gary and Michael for responding.

I'm thinking something along the lines of fuel, fuel rail, or pressure or injectors. Idle rpm is a little high. Does my car have this 'power stage' that the groups are referring to when they say there is a connector on the fender.? And just what is that, if it does. ... '89 245 DL ver 2.4 computer, no turbo, M47 transmission. Compression all within 10% of each other. Lesley.

Reply to
L.J. :)

Did you try swapping the air mass meter? That's a common failure and will cause the fuel economy to plummet. You should be getting at least

25 mpg.
Reply to
James Sweet

Yes, the chaotic converter has been known to run in circles and eventually become cataleptic when honeycomb construction no longer catalyzes.

Reply to
Roadie

I assume that you have already replaced the fuel filter and checked the fuel pressure? Low power is usually caused by insufficient fuel to the engine, most commonly by a plugged fuel filter. If it idles okay but has no power then it sounds like there is too much resistance in the fuel filter so the fuel pump can only create enough pressure at a low flow (idle speed). Have you checked the timing? Replaced the plugs and wires? Sometimes plug wires that are very old will short out when the engine is under load, but not when at idle. The high vacuum in the combustion chamber when at idle creates less resistance at the spark plug gap. A good check for this is to rev the engine and look at the spark plug connections near the exhaust manifold in the dark. If you see any blue flashes, you should replace the plugs and the wires.

Reply to
zoltamatron