M46 Transmission Reverse Problem

Suddenly today the reverse ring won't allow me to go into reverse. I removed the boot from the shift lever and found that I can pick up a spring-loaded piece at the base of the shift lever, and it goes into reverse. I'm guessing the ring was in some way linked to the piece, and the linkage broke. It only lasted 326,000 miles! Can someone steer me to a digram of the lever, and instructions on what I need to do to R & R the broken part?

Thanks!

John

Reply to
John von Colditz

There's a simple linkage inside the stick that goes from the collar to the mechanism at the base. You'll probably have to remove the stick and take it apart to fix. Not too hard, but it does require getting under the car to disconnect the linkage.

Reply to
James Sweet

Does anyone have a diagram of the shifter to get me started on this, and so I can order parts?

Thanks!

Reply to
John von Colditz

I got Volvo to fax it to me. Turns out it is an M47. I'll fix it this weekend, if time allows!

Reply to
John von Colditz

The shifter is the same either way, the only difference is the M46 has a wire up the shifter shaft to a button on the knob for the electrically engaged overdrive unit.

Reply to
James Sweet