maintainance question - 2000 C70

Regarding 2000 C70, Convertible, 2.4.

Has anyone had any luck with maintenance outside of the dealers, if you can just share some insight, particularly with the 'chains'.

Example, oil change on this car seems to go for $35 to $40.... Firestone advertises 19.99 (no rotation) but once you add the cartridge and the extra oil (6.1 qts), you add an extra $15 to the cost.. usually another $5 for tire rotation (Midas $24.99 (with rotation) plus the $15.

Is this basically the deal? Any others to look at (Pep, Sears, Wal-Mart?).

Now I am looking at brakes.. pads front and back, and rotors (fronts are about 75%, rears a little better at 60%), so I'm looking at about $600 for that..

I guess what I am asking, with things as tight as they are, any less expensive alternatives.. without sacrificing too much....

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie
~^ beancounter ~^

If it takes 6 quarts of oil then $35-$40 sounds pretty reasonable, especially once you add the filter. Heck I spend that much in materials alone changing my own oil.

Skimping here is a false economy, what you save today, you will more than spend tomorrow.

Reply to
James Sweet

to start i have a 2000 v70r. not standard in any way. it sounds like you are dealing w/ large corporations/ franchises that get the car on a lift w/ a teaser then tack on "extras". i use small, local, Volvo-lover mechanics. i would even admit that two of them are better mechanics than i. you will normally know what the procedure will cost beforehand & if you pay a couple of bucks more. it's the price of keeping a valuable resource in business. specifics: r's don't rotate. no one offers an oil change w/ oil or filters that i would place anywhere near Myst (the Volvo who lives w/ me). i do have a solution. buy tools! a floor jack, sockets, some offsets, a couple of nieces or nephews. everything you mentioned is done daily by challenged individuals. if you have trouble getting dirty, that's what N & N"s are for; or nitrile gloves, tyvex suits & carpet throwaways. i race (on a budget) so rotors (mine cost $275 each) don't get replaced @ 75%, nor do pads.the very wealth may have other ideas. you may very well have 10's of thousands left (your mileage may vary). brakes are not a good (personal longevity) first project. not actually that difficult, but when confronted w/ how to connect the wasisdas to the gervortner, do you want to bet your life on guessing right? oh, kragen has 5 liters of Syntec & a K&N filter for $28. not too shabby. K&N is also interesting, performance & green. will wonders never cease.

Reply to
Richard W Langbauer

I don't think I'd buy anything from K&N, their air filters are snake oil, independent tests show them (and other reusable) filters to pass substantially more dirt while offering minimal improvement in airflow.

As for oil filters, Volvo OEM are made by Mann, I buy the Mann filters by the case for the family cars.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

How do the rotors look? I normally get several sets of pads out of a set of rotors, but that requires changing the pads before they wear down to the rivets. Once you have metal on metal, the rotors get chewed up really quick. Also I tried ceramic pads once and they wore the rotors rapidly, the soft pads don't last as long and make more brake dust but the pad is the part you want to wear.

Reply to
James Sweet

sorry i thought you meant 75% left. 25% (left) is not a bad place to change esp. for a mechanic. just remember if you walk out the next time your mechanic is (statistically) likely to see you is when you hear rivets on rotors. you have a little more leeway. you can pay very close attention or decide to change the rotors anyway -- so why not risk ruining them?

Reply to
Richard W Langbauer