mileage indicater unreliable????

Hi! engine cut out after warning "engine service urgently required" (or something like that). The reading said still 70 km to go before empty tank. I had to be towed and after putting in 10 liter of diesel the car runs fine without any specific warnings or faults. Is the mileage gauge not working? Similar experiences anybody? Can this be fixed? Thanks

volvo 2003 XC70 5D

Reply to
FDB

John Robertson

I think you have two separate problems.

  1. You apparently ran out of fuel. The distance remaining indicator can fluctuate a lot when there is just a little fuel left. If you are coasting downhill the number can go up because of no fuel consumption and drop back down when eiher the terrain of driving changes. The gauage would appear to be working, but it lookslike you pushed it a little too close this time.

  1. There is at least one error code that was stored. You might have the dealer read that code.

Reply to
Roadie

hi thanks for the reply, The reading on the ecu said that there was 2.85l left in the tank. My average mileage is 8l/100km. So I still would have been able to drive 35km. I was on my way to the gasstation when it happened. The distance remaining idicator said 70 km to go. I stranded at 2km from the pump. I remember emptying the tank once up to 15 km without problems, so it seems I have been lucky at that time.... From now on, I will not trust the indicator no more.

"Roadie" schreef >> Hi!

Reply to
FDB

Reply to