Mileages of ex police cars suspcioiously low?

There are a few ex police T5 volvos for sale on autotrader. as there frequently is. Usually 98/99 S and T regs. Mileages 101,000 , 109,000 etc That has to be bollocks surely? These cars often come up for sale and have these kinds of mileages. Police traffic cars bound to do lot more mleage than that. Can anybody confirm this? And the people selling them the prices, half what they ask would be more realistic. Most of them seem to have same sort of mileages that privately owned non police T5s, That cant be right can it?

I suppose though a bit silly to clock a police car if upon investigation with the police records the car had a higher mileage than it has now. But then again I suppose a lot of crooks arent that bright or dont care.

Reply to
Alan

"Alan" wrote

I didn't think clocking went on any more?

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

Alan (aa) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

They're too expensive, and the mileage is suspect.

So don't buy one, then. Next.

Reply to
Adrian

100k is too low- all the forces do around 140-150k in their t5's before replacement- which has been proved the mileage where they suddenly start costing alot more to run.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

We bought one a couple of yrs ago with just under 20,000 & this was validated by the police force's own records. Cant remember the reason why it was so low

So I guess any mileage is possible

Reply to
A C

There was a copper talkng last night on one of those 'follow the traffic cops around' programs about his great new BMW X5 compared with the unloved Range Rovers they'd been using. His last RR was on its third engine in

70,000m.
Reply to
SteveB

One sure thing with a police car is likely to be that it has been thrashed to death after a cold start, no? I'd rather have an old minicab!

Reply to
Tom Hawley

Tom Hawley ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The engine's probably not been cold since it was new.

Because, of course, they're *never* thrashed, are they?

Reply to
Adrian

Then it has idled one heck of a lot.

Not particularly on the whole.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

On Wed, 3 May 2006 06:42:19 +0100 "SteveB" waved a wand and this message magically appeared:

I was in stitches when he said the local yobs did them a favour by setting the RR on fire!

Reply to
Alex Buell

The E39s used by the Met have rather a poor reputation for reliability. Dave - an E39 owner. ;-)

I'm surprised at engine problems with the ol' Rover V-8. It's one of the most bomb proof engines ever made.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from Tom Hawley contains these words:

I don't think they often get time to cool down.

Reply to
Guy King

That'll be "Traffic Cops" then? :-)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Huw (hedydd[nospam]@tiscali.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Unlikely. It'll have been in fairly constant use - shift in, shift out.

(And, yes, of course it WILL have been cold when being serviced)

I'd like to visit your planet one day.

Reply to
Adrian

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I'd have thought that they'd be he'd have been talking about the current- shape BMW v8-engined Rangy? Which, does it not, use the same engine as the X5...?

Reply to
Adrian

"Tom Hawley" wrote

Most used car guides I have read say that ex-police cars are a good buy. They are very rarely "thrashed", but spend the majority of their time parked or patrolling. They are also well-maintained regardless of cost.

Rather you than me.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

No - it's a Ford unit. R R did use BMW diesels, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yeh, I know the TD6 current Rangie is the BMW diesel - couldn't remember whether it was the Jag or the BMW v8. I know Disco 3 and R-R "Sport" are the Jag lump.

But don't plod tend to use diseasels now anyway? I know all the 5-series they're using in London for armed response (big round yellow stickers in the corners of the screen) are.

Reply to
Adrian

They *might* be ok mechanically, but the interiors are generally trashed. They've usually got a poorer spec, toys wise, than the equivalent 'retail' model and will be difficult to sell on - especially if white.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Did you not watch "Despatches: Undercover Copper"? Going on that programme, alot of Trafpol spend their time visiting mates.

Reply to
Conor