Minimum tread depth for winter tires? Suggestions?

Hi all,

I have a set of older Gislaved snows mounted on wheels for my 760.

The tread is at around 5/32nds.

Are these tires done?

I'm after good overall traction and safety, and unfortunately need to save every penny for the time being. Otherwise, what would the minimum tread depth be for a winter tire? (other than for minimum safety standards).

Cheers

Reply to
Robert

As long as the tire wear is even all the way across the min should be

3/32". Do you need to replace them? You'll found out with the first snow I guess.
Reply to
volvoguy

The test I've learned is to put a penny in the tread with Lincoln's head first. If there is enough tread to cover part of his head, the tire is OK. Of course, that only works in the US. Perhaps other countries have a similar test,

Reply to
Marvin Margoshes

The "Lincoln's Head" test usually measures slightly less than 3/32". 3/32" happens to be the minimum allowable tread in most parts of the USA.

Personally, I think if you are going to drive in the snow anwhere except flatland with that little tread, you're nuts. I don't think that 5/32 is nuts, although it may wear down and not last the whole season.

My opinion only, YMMV

Reply to
Jim Carriere

Agreed, if you're going to the trouble/safety of having snow tires you probably want them to have more than the lincoln head tread depth.

My nearby tire sh>

Reply to
Franz Bestuchev

Reply to
John Robertson

Check with your local MOT/DOT/Roads-whatever on what the legal minimum is and check against that. I'd also suggest that you check out what the tread depth on a new set is, and say to yourself "Do I have doubts? What's winter like around here? Who depends on me to stay alive?"

My suggestion: any uncertainty, get a new set.

Reply to
Byrocat

Just did some digging around and found this item:

Legal minimum in Ontario is 1.5mm (2/32nds).

I'd toss the tires (I see that you were trying to sell them elsewhere) and get a new set of all-seasons.

I'm getting good wear from BF Goodrich via Crappy Tire.

Reply to
Byrocat