Missing Mud-flap Mystery

Anybody know why Volvo dropped mud flaps as standard equipment? Mileage perhaps?

Are mud flaps worth the effort & expense?

Reply to
KLB

I suspect marketing triumphs over engineering again. However, if you don't travel on unmade roads, there really isn't much point. I wouldn't pull mine off, but if I didn't have them, I wouldn't buy them.

Reply to
Andrew McKenna

Mudflaps are a good indicator of what makes these cars unique.

Utilitarian, common-sense, stout cars.

Reply to
zencraps

If you ask me, the mudflaps keep the car looking clean while rugged at the same time...but I'd imagine they dropped them because the rugged image isn't exactly one Volvo wants to push right now; safety and reliabality don't seem to mesh too clearly with offroad.

Either way, I think they are a worthwhile option and I'd be willing to pay for them...I guess it's just a way of getting more money out of the customer for (normally) standard equipment.

Reply to
Robert

Maybe

But they are always ugly and spoil the lines of the car. True, they may suit a purpose but I removed mine (V40) and am happy to put up with a bit of mud spray.

I can't think of a single car where mud flaps don't make the car look dowdy.

John

Reply to
John Smith

I can. My '86 Civic Si has mudflaps that don't look like they came from a truck, but still keep mud off the panels behind the wheels.

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski

Thanks all, I'm sold

I don't think that Volvo mud-flaps look that bad on a Volvo. Call me old fashioned.

Since I battle the salt, the slush and the snow I am going to spring for the flaps. Just don't like the price. Noticed that they are about $88 a pair in US but only 35 Euro (approx $44 US) across the pond. Sounds to me like it is worth importing from Germany. Can't be that much for shipping, can it?

Reply to
KLB

Reply to
John Robertson

I used a carboard template and cut mine from rubber. Nice n cheap, and you can put small reflectors on the back of them.

Reply to
XYZ

i would guess $15 - $25 for regular shippin'......

KLB wrote:

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

xyz...do you have a image avail of them installed on a volvo?...by chanse?...thanx......

XYZ wrote:

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^