More puzzles 740 gl

Any idea why the engine could speed up when I pull the starter solenoid switch Wire off and slow down when I put it back and it does not seem to engage the starter while running. Lately the car fails to start sometimes and I have to manually connect solenoid terminal. but when I replace spade connector the engine slows.

Reply to
F Murtz

That's a weird one. I wonder if you have a bad ground connection to the engine block? Often bizarre electrical gremlins can be traced back to bad grounds, it causes current to find other paths to ground, sometimes through other devices.

Reply to
James Sweet

It is puzzling me too, If it were a bad ground connection I would expect problems with the high current in starting.The car goes long distances without blowing fuses.I might measure current on the solenoid switch wire. Some other current consuming device may rely on the wire being connected.I could try driving with it off and see what happens.

Reply to
F Murtz