Most reliable 80's Volvo 240's

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Here in Arizona the tests are done under contract and are the same everywhere (in the two counties that do it.) The main test is done on dyno rollers, but if the car fails some tests the car is revved out of gear to "condition" it in an effort to get an in-tolerance reading.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I think it depends on the individual car. My last 240 wagon got unbelievable MPG -- something like 28-32 in the *city*. My latest 240 gets far, far few MPG (but I stll love it!).

Reply to
PButler111

What're the years and transmissions? If there's a substantial difference there may be something out of wack on the newer one, I'm assuming your driving style hasn't changed. I haven't noticed much difference between one

240 and another assuming same engine and tranny.
Reply to
James Sweet

i loved my 81 240,except for the lack of overdrive(automatic),but if you get an 82 you will get the aw71 auto.overdrive tranny,you really need that extra gear on the freeway.and you will still have the nice big metal bumpers. and it will be close to the age of being emisions exempt. mine was always a little tempermental on cold starts, but ran great otherwise.a couple of times when merging onto a freeway with it floored it caught a second gear scratch,a friend was with me,we just looked at each other and laughed. mark

Reply to
Islandguy77554

The car that got the better MPG was a 1989. My current 240 wagon is a 1993. Both are automatic transmission.

Reply to
PButler111

Have you checked the timing? Fuel injectors clean? How's the cap, rotor, plug wires and spark plugs? Tire pressure? Shouldn't be much difference between the two cars.

Reply to
James Sweet

Nobody seems to be mentioning the colapsing driver's seats. I had three late 80's 240s and the drivers seat failed miserably (and uncomfortably) in all three. I never had this problem with my 70's 260s and haven't had it (yet) with the 850s.

Reply to
Robert Lutwak

Ah, yes. IPD sells a repair kit, but it is still a hassle. I think all mid-80s Volvos had the problem

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

That's an easy problem to fix though, put the little screen that supports the foam back together and use a bit of duct tape to keep it from falling apart. Put the springs back on and it's solid. If the wire screen is cutting into the foam, a piece of lexan, fiberboard or even cardboard between the foam and the screen fixes this. The whole job including removing the seat and taking it inside to work on takes only about an hour, I've done it quite a few times and so far haven't had it fail again.

Reply to
James Sweet

I just rebuilt the driver's seat in my 89 240, with the help of a good seat back pad from my 88 240, the dealer replaced it in 93,so it was still good (just retired it after 300,000 miles, due to rust) I added 1 inch foam padding, and put the seat heaters under the padding, was tired of sitting on the plastic grates,much more comfortable, 1/2 inch padding would have been better as far as getting the covers back on, had to wrestle with the hog rings,still have the knuckles to prove it. mark

Reply to
Wstndboi38

as for the original post question, my 88 240 was the best car i ever owned,

300,000 miles on the original engine, auto.tranny, alternator, starter and waterpump.decided to retire it after i found major rust around the lower driver door hinge on the body,plus a couple of spots on the roof the size of a half dollar that finally went through. so i'm using it for parts for my "new" rust free 89 and i've needed a few parts as this one has been somewhat troublesome. mark
Reply to
Wstndboi38

I just cut those rings off and use nylon zip ties to put the upholstery back on, it's a whole lot easier.

Reply to
James Sweet

I've had problems with my 850 seat jamming and know of several other people with same issue.

alan newfoundland canada

93- 850 92-745 87-745

Reply to
saltwater paddlesports

What does 'seat jamming' mean, and if it occurs how is it resolved?

Reply to
Steve n Holly

I'd rather have the seat foam fail than the power driver's seat back develop a mind of it's own in our 960. mark

Reply to
Wstndboi38